Author Topic: Biden administration announces next steps for student debt relief  (Read 704 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden administration announces next steps for student debt relief
« on: September 29, 2023, 05:32:31 pm »
 Biden administration announces next steps for student debt relief
by Lexi Lonas - 09/29/23 11:48 AM ET

The Biden administration announced its next moves on student loan forgiveness Friday, pointing toward a narrower effort so far than the mass debt relief it previously offered.

The Department of Education announced months ago it is going through the negotiated rulemaking process under the Higher Education Act to try to enact more student loan relief.

The department has released its “initial set of policy considerations” for the new plan, focusing on “student loan borrowers in need.”

The administration is looking at five groups for its new debt relief: borrowers who entered repayment decades ago; borrowers whose balances are greater than what they originally owed; borrowers who are eligible for relief under specific programs but didn’t apply; those under financial hardship; and those who went through programs that didn’t give financial value.

“The Biden-Harris Administration has taken unprecedented action to fix the broken student loan system and deliver record amounts of student debt relief,” Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona said in a statement.

“Now, we are diligently moving through the regulatory process to advance debt relief for even more borrowers. Today, after considering more than 26,000 public comments on how to tailor this relief, we are releasing this additional information about this effort. We’re committed to standing up for borrowers and making sure that student debt does not stop anyone from climbing the economic ladder and pursuing the American dream,” he added.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/education/4230070-biden-administration-announces-next-steps-for-student-debt-relief/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Biden administration announces next steps for student debt relief
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 06:03:51 pm »
I just got my home and auto insurance bill for the upcoming year.  It increased.  Where's my relief for working hard and paying taxes since I was 16?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline berdie

Re: Biden administration announces next steps for student debt relief
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 08:00:00 pm »
I just got my home and auto insurance bill for the upcoming year.  It increased.  Where's my relief for working hard and paying taxes since I was 16?

Same here re: home/auto insurance. However, I feel certain our relief checks are in the mail. :rolling: