Author Topic: NYC may see up to 7 inches of rain, significant flooding Friday from Ophelia’s remnants  (Read 881 times)

Online Kamaji

NYC may see up to 7 inches of rain, significant flooding Friday from Ophelia’s remnants: ‘This is a serious storm’

By Allie Griffin and Snejana Farberov
Published Sep. 28, 2023

New Yorkers woke up Friday morning to a drenching downpour that is expected to continue into Saturday, bringing potentially dangerous flash flooding and soaking the greater tri-state area with up to 7 inches of rain.

The rainfall is set to intensify around 8 and 9 a.m., making a mess of the morning commute, and continuing through the afternoon and into the evening hours as people head home from work and school.

The National Weather Service extended a flood watch for the area from 2 a.m. Friday through the night as the remnants of Tropical Storm Ophelia are expected to inundate the five boroughs along with Long Island and parts of New Jersey and Connecticut.

Much of the region, including the five boroughs, is expected to get between 3 to 5 inches of rain — with some areas further out getting up to 7 inches, the service predicted.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/28/nyc-may-see-4-inches-of-rain-significant-flooding-friday/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
bookmark
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 03:47:22 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

My sister is visiting her daughter, who lives in Brooklyn while attending grad school at NYU. Sister stayed at a hotel in Manhattan last night - she just emailed me to say she can't get to Brooklyn, where she was planning to stay tonight. Yikes.

https://twitter.com/Breaking_4_News/status/1707742664739696810
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

My sister tells me she and her daughter were able to get out of Manhattan to the daughter's apt in Brooklyn. The subway line my niece usually takes was closed; they had to take two different lines and they were completely drenched. At least half of subway and bus lines are closed.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline mountaineer

Sea lions have escaped the Central Park zoo due severe flooding.

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1707876892873769206

Offline mountaineer

I read that there was a rainstorm in NYC in the 1880s that was much, much worse, i.e., more inches of rain per hour, than this most recent one. Oops, climate change, and all that.  :whistle:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The eastern part of our county had 8+ inches over the summer from a storm. Thankfully it was relatively dry but there was water standing everywhere. Can't imagine what that will be like on concrete and asphalt where it can't sink in.
The Republic is lost.