Author Topic: Oil touching $95 a barrel is bad news for the economy  (Read 516 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Oil touching $95 a barrel is bad news for the economy
« on: September 28, 2023, 06:39:14 pm »
Oil touching $95 a barrel is bad news for the economy and the Fed's plans
by Zachary Halaschak, Economics Reporter
September 28, 2023 02:23 PM

Oil prices are at their highest level in more than a year, a fact that doesn’t bode well for the inflation situation and could complicate the Federal Reserve’s plans.

U.S. West Texas Intermediate futures briefly reached above $95 per barrel on Thursday, the highest level since August 2022. The higher crude prices will ultimately translate into higher gas prices and ding the Fed’s effort to tame inflation.

The national average for regular formulation gasoline is about $3.84 and prices recently reached their highest seasonal level in more than a decade. Prices usually tumble as demand from the summer travel season cools off.

While rising gas prices make filling up cars and commuting to work more expensive, the higher oil prices also translate to more expensive home heating as temperatures start to decline. That is all bad news for the Fed because higher oil and gas prices end up adding to overall inflation.

“I think the key here is that this has provided another reason for consumers not only to be irritated but also face price pressures,” Mark Hamrick, senior economic analyst at Bankrate, told the Washington Examiner.

The Fed has been trying to achieve a “soft landing” in which it drives down inflation without knocking the economy into a recession. Interest rate revisions are the main tool the central bank has to drive down prices, but the higher the rates, the greater the likelihood that the economy will take a hit. The Fed has raised interest rates 11 times over the past 1 1/2 years in an effort to achieve that goal.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/rising-oil-prices-bad-inflation-complicates-fed-decisions
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Re: Oil touching $95 a barrel is bad news for the economy
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 06:55:31 pm »
On the bright side, Gold has dropped below $1900/oz for the first time in 8 months.  Not saying this is a great bargain, but not too bad when you look at the overall trends, and you have lost faith in the $USD.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline LMAO

Re: Oil touching $95 a barrel is bad news for the economy
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 04:11:31 am »
Yet gas prices dropped around here
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy