Author Topic: Progressive elected officials beg conservative Supreme Court for relief on homelessness  (Read 297 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Progressive elected officials beg conservative Supreme Court for relief on homelessness

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/09/27/auto-draft-159-n580778

The Boise decision is a 2018 decision reached by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals. A lawyer in Boise, Idaho had filed a lawsuit on behalf of six homeless people claiming that it violated their 8th amendment rights against cruel and unusual punishment to be arrested or otherwise punished for sleeping on the streets when they had nowhere else to go. The 9th Circuit decision effectively made it illegal for any state that was part of the 9th Circuit’s jurisdiction to do anything about homeless camps which proliferated on the sidewalks.

Cities have been trying to overturn the Boise decision by appealing to the Supreme Court since at least 2019. That’s when Los Angeles’ City Supervisors voted to hire an attorney to appeal the case.

In San Francisco, Mayor London Breed was elected on a platform of cleaning up the streets. She began removing tent camps around the city (which homeless activists all sweeps). The ACLU sued the city and the day before Christmas Eve a judge ruled the city could not do any more sweeps. Mayor Breed was clearly frustrated, saying at the time “Mayors cannot run cities this way.”

So the outcome of the Boise decision is that cities on the west coast cannot remove tents from sidewalks unless they have a bed to offer every person being removed. In fact, thanks to the ACLU lawsuit, the status quo now is that San Francisco can’t do anything unless it has enough beds for every homeless person in the city. Mayor Breed decided to appeal that case to the 9th Circuit, knowing she would probably lose but then expecting to be able to appeal that loss to the Supreme Court.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Half of me says let them feel the pain, the other half says the 9th's ruling is ridiculous.
The Republic is lost.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Why not also say you can't arrest them for stealing food unless you offer them three squares a day?  Same concept.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Half of me says let them feel the pain, the other half says the 9th's ruling is ridiculous.

I wonder if the judges who ruled against them were Republican or Democrat?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Am I the only one that thinks "So what if they lay on the grates to sleep?"

That sort of thing was supposedly common during the Great Depression,and it seemed to inspire people to work hard to make sure it didn't happen to them again.

BTW,I am NOT trying to claim that being homeless and poor is a good thing,I am just stating there is nothing new about it,and generations of people seem to have overcame similar circumstances.

Hell,I spent a whole summer living in a 48 Ford panel truck in the woods because I owned the truck and couldn't afford to pay  rent at that time.

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do to get back on your feet again.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 10:20:35 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!