Author Topic: 40 law enforcement agencies pull out of Minnesota schools after law change: 'Police were blindsided'  (Read 516 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
40 law enforcement agencies pull out of Minnesota schools after law change: 'Police were blindsided'
Story by Cortney O'Brien •
2h

A new Minnesota law on how school resource officers can restrain students has led to an exodus of about 40 law enforcement agencies in schools, several outlets have reported.

The new law, which was included in the education bill Democratic Gov. Tim Walz signed in May, was interpreted by some police chiefs to mean that school resource officers can only restrain students if they're about to inflict harm on themselves or others. The statute in question previously read that an "agent of the district" may use "reasonable force when it is necessary under the circumstances to restrain a student or prevent bodily harm or death to another." The new provisions caused some confusion by taking the "or" after student and turning it into a "to."

The Anoka, Clay and Hennepin sheriff's departments, and Anoka, Blaine, Champlin and Coon Rapids police departments, are among those who have suspended their school resource officer programs in the wake of the changes. Some police chiefs and sheriffs argue the law restricts officers from intervening in dangerous situations and makes them too vulnerable to criminal charges or lawsuits.

"Police were blindsided by this law," Jeff Potts, executive director of the Minnesota Police Chiefs Association, told NBC News. "The law enforcement community learned about it in August." 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/40-law-enforcement-agencies-pull-out-of-minnesota-schools-after-law-change-police-were-blindsided/ar-AA1hkfQl?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=a1c3b859025648d099c845ae770e3031&ei=17
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online LMAO

I have always said that, for one month, I would like to live as a leftist. I want to know what it feels like to view the world from the prism of a child and feel no sense of consequences from my policies
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline goatprairie

It would interesting to know how many (if any) diehard Minneapolis libs had their eyes opened when one of their "defund the police" pals was attacked by feral thugs outside her home in front of her kids.
Incidentally, on the spot where St. George Floyd got himself deceased there have been numerous shootings and killings since the incident of three plus years ago that have not involved the "evil" police.
The question to ask libs: how many times does master have to rub your face in the mess you created for you to get the message?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 02:10:49 am by goatprairie »