Author Topic: Target to close 9 stores — including NYC location — citing ‘theft’ and employee ‘safety’  (Read 663 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Target to close 9 stores — including NYC location — citing ‘theft’ and employee ‘safety’
By Lisa Fickenscher   
Published Sep. 26, 2023, 3:50 p.m. ET

Target said it is closing nine stores in major markets across the country — including its Harlem location in New York City — because of rampant theft and violence.

“We cannot continue operating these stores because theft and organized retail crime are threatening the safety of our team and guests, and contributing to unsustainable business performance,” the Minneapolis-based discount retailer said in a Tuesday statement.

The stores will close on Oct. 21 and span four states, including New York, which will lose its East Harlem location at 517 E. 117th St.

The other locations to be shuttered are in San Francisco, Seattle, Portland and Ore. — all cities that have been struggling with an epidemic of aggressive organized retail theft that has ramped up over the past few years.

Target’s announcement follows on the heels of another massive round of store closures including Rite Aid, which filed for bankruptcy protection and is likely shuttering up to 500 stores in the coming months, according to reports.

more
https://nypost.com/2023/09/26/target-to-close-9-stores-citing-theft-and-employee-safety/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Kamaji

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
These stores have been absorbing their losses due to shoplifting by shifting costs to other stores and insurance.  However, the thieves have now taken to assaulting store employees, and that is a bigger problem (although they won't admit that).  It becomes a dangerous (to them) problem when the employees start suing the stores.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Target cites violence and theft as reasons to shut down nine stores
Story by Asher Notheis •
15h

Retailer Target is shuttering nine of its locations across four major cities, which have been hot spots for rising crime and retail theft.

The locations will close their doors on Oct. 21, with Target citing "organized retail crime" threatening the safety of its employees and customers as part of the reason for closing. Of the locations, one is in New York City, three are in San Francisco, three are in Portland, and two are in Seattle.

“We cannot continue operating these stores because theft and organized retail crime are threatening the safety of our team and guests, and contributing to unsustainable business performance,” Target said in a news release. “We know that our stores serve an important role in their communities, but we can only be successful if the working and shopping environment is safe for all.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/target-cites-violence-and-theft-as-reasons-to-shut-down-nine-stores/ar-AA1hiFd0?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=a1c3b859025648d099c845ae770e3031&ei=39
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Vote for democrats long enough, and eventually you'll get to "enjoy" the consequences.

Offline Mod2

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
When a store walks away from a normal business model that offers 30% ROCE, you know there is some serious shrink, theft, and long term profitabiility issues going on.

It's the minions fault they didn't do some self policing of their feral population, because they all now have to suffer.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Target’s NYC store closure should be ‘wakeup call’ — as plans for nearby outpost delayed: sources
Story by Lisa Fickenscher, Steve Cuozzo •
12h

Target’s decision to shutter its first Manhattan location amid rampant shoplifting should serve as a “wakeup call to city officials,” an industry expert said — and the retailer’s plans to open another store in the neighborhood have been delayed, The Post has learned.

The Minneapolis-based discount chain announced Tuesday it will close the E. 117th St. store  – along with eight other locations in Seattle, Portland, Ore., and San Francisco – on Oct. 21, citing the “safety” of its employees amid increasingly violent incidents of crime

“It’s a terrible result and hopefully serves as a wakeup call to city officials that this needs to be dealt with ASAP, otherwise there will be more to follow,” warned Jeffrey Roseman, vice chairman of real estate giant Newmark.

“The city has always been the mecca for retailers from across the world who wanted to be a part of the action. We can’t afford to let that slip away.”

Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg has been criticized for refusing to prosecute shoplifters, who have preyed on businesses since the pandemic.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/target-s-nyc-store-closure-should-be-wakeup-call-as-plans-for-nearby-outpost-delayed-sources/ar-AA1hmxUq?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=652d4e22fb6a48119e31853751db361e&ei=11
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson