Author Topic: Calling someone ‘woke’ is equivalent to a ‘racial slur,’ UK actress Cathy Tyson claims  (Read 689 times)

Online Kamaji

Calling someone ‘woke’ is equivalent to a ‘racial slur,’ UK actress Cathy Tyson claims

By Olivia Land
Published Sep. 26, 2023

A British actress has claimed that being called “woke” is “as bad” as a racial slur.

Cathy Tyson, who rose to prominence following her turn as a high-class call girl in 1989’s “Mona Lisa,” explained in a new interview about the role of race and identity in the entertainment industry why she finds the term offensive.

“I imagine some of the readership use the word ‘woke.’ For me, it’s as bad a term as an offensive racial slur,” Tyson, 58, shared in the sit-down with the Telegraph — a conservative publication that she also admitted she would “never” have chatted with when she was younger.

“The terms ‘woke’ and ‘race card’ are deeply offensive to me,” she continued, noting that the latter “is thrown in your face if you make a criticism of anything,” while the former is tossed around to “undermine” progressive ideas.

“Even the term ‘white privilege’ is very, very divisive. I’m not about sides,” Tyson explained, adding that studying for an English degree later in life “taught me how to open my mind to different viewpoints.”

“How do we all get on together? It’s complex, there’s a lot of people of all colors who are suffering financially, who are hungry, at the moment,” she said in the interview published Tuesday.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/26/british-actress-calling-someone-woke-equivalent-to-a-racial-slur/

Online Kamaji

:mauslaff:

Total bullshit, designed to coopt use of the term.  "Woke" is a matter of what the subject thinks, says, and does - all attributes that are easily changeable and completely under the subject's control - and has nothing to do with anything intrinsic to the subject; racial slurs, on the other hand, are only concerned with intrinsic attributes of an individual that are not subject to change, ever.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Man is she ever "woke".
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Oh noes! Calling someone woke is a racial slur, well I wouldn't want to do that, I guess I'll just go back to what I used to call those people

Offline DefiantMassRINO

There go the woke again.

////00000////

Calling a Republican a "hate monger" is a racial slur.  Why?  Because I just made it up.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online goatprairie

I remember about ten years ago or so when libs were going out of their way to identify as "woke."
To be "woke" was to be hip and with it on many social matters especially racial matters.
But now when they are being made fun of for being "woke," the wokesters are upset.
Tough.....you made your bed, now you lie in it.   :yowsa:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Telling people what they can't say is equivalent to genocide.

See how easy throwing around words is?
The Republic is lost.

Online Kamaji

Telling people what they can't say is equivalent to genocide.

See how easy throwing around words is?

:thumbsup: