Author Topic: Under pressure that hasn’t eased since the pandemic, some health care workers are preparing to strik  (Read 446 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CNN By Carma Hassan 9/25/2023

Under pressure that hasn’t eased since the pandemic, some health care workers are preparing to strike

As the US hovers on the edge of another season of respiratory viruses, some health care workers are preparing to swap their medical instruments for picket signs, sounding the alarm about a staffing crisis that they say is already affecting patient care.

“Workers are up at night, the day before their shift, just thinking about what they’re going to walk into the next day because of short staffing,” said Gabe Montoya, an emergency room medical technician at Kaiser Permanente Downey Medical Center in Southern California. “I’m being honest. It’s not hyperbole.”

Montoya, who has worked for the medical center for 15 years, is also part of the bargaining team at Service Employees International Union-United Healthcare Workers West, a local union that is part of the Coalition of Kaiser Permanente Unions.
-----

Health care workforce burnout

Nationwide, burnout is part of what’s driving shortages of doctors, nurses and other health care workers.

Among doctors, for the third year in a row, 6 in 10 reported often having feelings of burnout, compared with 4 in 10 in 2018, according to a recent survey

Among nurses, a survey in April found that about half felt emotionally drained at work. Another survey in May found that while many cared very much about their work, their work satisfaction has declined and stress levels have increased.
-----

Workers argue for higher wages

Low wages are another factor leading to staffing shortages.

Montoya said he sees colleagues whose wages have not kept up with inflation.

“There is a problem, right, when we have Kaiser workers in this huge conglomerate who are having to deal with living paycheck to paycheck,” he said, adding that some of his colleagues worry about being able to afford rent.

In a statement, Kaiser Permanente said it is deeply committed “to the economic well-being of our employees.”
-----

A possible turning point 

Renee Saldana, a spokesperson for Service Employees International Union-United Healthcare Workers West, said health care workers are hitting “a breaking point.”

“They’re just exhausted, tired, burnt out,” she said. “But they still want to be there for their patients. They do this because it’s a calling for them. They want to be there to help people. They run into the fire while people are running away from it.”

Saldana said the workers she represents want to see patient care improve.

More: https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/25/health/health-care-workers-under-pressure/index.html

Offline mountaineer

Seems like every industry is having a staffing crisis, from food service to healthcare to auto repair. Gee, maybe we shouldn't pay people NOT to work.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I don't know about nationally, but where I am Kaiser union members have already had a voted to authorize a strike and they could start as soon as Oct.1 That could affect my mom, but I bailed on Kaiser twenty years ago. Considering how Kaiser doctors and nurses are pushed to turn over patients in their medical offices, at least, I can understand the employees gripes.

Offline DB

Seems like every industry is having a staffing crisis, from food service to healthcare to auto repair. Gee, maybe we shouldn't pay people NOT to work.

For two effin years.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The most capable nurses are working in private, out-patient surgical or procedural centers where they can have somewhat normal hours and a manageable work week.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.