Author Topic: FBI sued after allegedly losing hundreds of thousands in rare coins during raid  (Read 643 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Fox News by Teny Sahakian 9/24/2023

Jeni Pearsons says FBI may have stolen $2,000 from her safe deposit box: 'They took it or lost it'

Two Americans are alleging the FBI lost or stole their property after seizing it through a "shady" process.

"All we know is that their property was in a box and safe before the FBI broke into the box," Joe Gay, an attorney with the nonprofit law firm Institute for Justice, told Fox News. "Once the FBI broke into the box, we honestly don't know exactly what happened."

"We don't know if they lost it. We don't know if somebody pocketed it and walked away," he continued. "We have no way to know."

The Institute for Justice filed two lawsuits Friday on behalf of clients who had property seized from their safety deposit boxes in a March 2021 FBI raid on U.S. Private Vaults, a Beverly Hills–based company. After prevailing in court, and the FBI agreeing to return their property, both Don Mellein and Jeni Pearsons discovered some of their property was missing and suspect the FBI's haphazard raid or sticky fingers are to blame.

"There’s literally been no explanation," Pearsons said. "I think you have to assume that it's the simplest explanation, and I think, unfortunately, the simplest explanation is they took it or lost it."

Mellein, a 79-year-old retired civil servant, kept cash and 110 gold coins worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in his box to safeguard his financial security. He invested in the precious metals with the proceeds after he and his wife sold their Malibu home in 2002.

Pearsons and her husband Michael Storc similarly rented a security deposit box in 2017 as a financial safeguard, storing around $20,000 in silver and $2,000 in cash.

Neither Mellein nor Pearson were charged with a crime. The FBI had been investigating U.S. Private Vaults, which shut down following the raid and ultimately pleaded guilty to conspiracy to launder drug money.

After the FBI seized their property along with 1,400 other customers, Mellein and Pearsons received a notice stating the FBI wanted to keep their property through a process known as civil forfeiture.

Pearsons said she'd never heard of civil forfeiture before. But after doing research, she discovered that one of the options to reclaim items presented on the notice essentially gave the FBI all rights to decide what's done with the property.

More: https://www.foxnews.com/media/fbi-sued-allegedly-losing-hundreds-thousands-rare-coins-during-raid

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I have always thought Civil Forfeiture to be an end run around the Constitution, and illegal.

It does provide the opportunity for LE to loot quite possibly untraceable assets whether those were acquired legally or not, and places the burden of proof on the owner to prove the asset (exists and) is not guilty of a crime. You might never be charged with a crime, but your stuff gets taken anyway.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I have always thought Civil Forfeiture to be an end run around the Constitution, and illegal.

It does provide the opportunity for LE to loot quite possibly untraceable assets whether those were acquired legally or not, and places the burden of proof on the owner to prove the asset (exists and) is not guilty of a crime. You might never be charged with a crime, but your stuff gets taken anyway.

:amen:

Online DB

And Jeff Sessions under Trump championed asset forfeitures. Totally unconstitutional and crooked as hell.

Online DefiantMassRINO

I follow the squirrels' example ... I don't bury all my acorns in the same place.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I follow the squirrels' example ... I don't bury all my acorns in the same place.
:yowsa:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis