Author Topic: 'Feeble Excuse': DC Courts Say They're Too Busy To Explain Why They Release Violent Criminals Before  (Read 286 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
'Feeble Excuse': DC Courts Say They're Too Busy To Explain Why They Release Violent Criminals Before Trial
Proposed measure to combat crime surge in nation's capital 'not feasible,' judge says

Jessica Costescu
September 22, 2023
Washington, D.C.'s court system says it is too busy to comply with a proposal that would require district judges to provide a written explanation when they release a violent criminal before trial, with two top judges dismissing the measure as "not feasible."

D.C. courts on Monday released a letter attacking a measure from city council member Brooke Pinto (D.) aimed at addressing the district's surge in violent crime. Included in the measure is a provision that would require district judges to provide written explanations should they opt to release a violent criminal before trial, which Pinto says will "ensure accountability." That provision, two top D.C. judges said in their letter, is "not feasible" as it would "significantly increase the workload" of the district's judges and clerks.

The rebuke of Pinto's proposal comes as D.C. experiences an ongoing violent crime crisis. Killings in the nation's capital are on pace this year to reach heights not seen in decades, carjackings in June reached their highest total in years, and robberies are up 65 percent year-over-year.

https://freebeacon.com/courts/dc-courts-release-violent-criminals/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline goatprairie

It's fairly obvious that many big city courts have taken the (screwball) position that too many young, black males are suffering from "overincarceration."
It seems they feel that many of these poor young black thugs....er......children/babies have been unfairly cast into the dungeons by Evil Whitey simply for being black.
The fact that they've committed violent crimes deserving of tough punishment in prison (or worse) doesn't seem to have put doubts in their minds about their actions to let these thugs...er.....sweet, young, black males (babies) loose on society to commit more violent crimes.