Author Topic: Ed. secretary sparks outrage for comments on ‘misbehaving’ parents ‘acting like they know what’s rig  (Read 591 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Ed. secretary sparks outrage for comments on ‘misbehaving’ parents ‘acting like they know what’s right for kids’
September 23, 2023 | Vivek Saxena

Education Secretary Miguel Cardona has sparked outrage for making disrespectful remarks about all the concerned parents who’ve been speaking out at their local school board hearings.

Speaking with the Associated Press, he specifically accused the dissenting parents of “misbehaving.”

“There was civility. We could disagree. We could have healthy conversations around what’s best for kids,” he said, referencing an earlier time in his career.

“I respect differences of opinion. I don’t have too much respect for people that are misbehaving in public and then acting as if they know what’s right for kids,” he then added, slamming the concerned parents who’ve been speaking out.

The backlash erupted immediately.

more
https://www.bizpacreview.com/2023/09/23/ed-secretary-sparks-outrage-for-comments-on-misbehaving-parents-acting-like-they-know-whats-right-for-kids-1398368/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline PeteS in CA

Tyrannic A-@#$%s like this are a large reason private schools are packed and have waiting lists, and homeschooling - which requires serious lifestyle changes for many - is mushrooming. Most parents DO know what is best for their children, and have the right to implement that. This was recognized by the USSC a century ago (in response to anti-religious regs, BTW).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Hoodat

One would think that public schools would be thrilled, getting the same amount of money for less students.  But they're not happy with that.  Having the power to indoctrinate your kids is paramount.  And parents who (can afford to) opt for private school denies them that control.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
One would think that public schools would be thrilled, getting the same amount of money for less students.  But they're not happy with that.  Having the power to indoctrinate your kids is paramount.  And parents who (can afford to) opt for private school denies them that control.
Huh? I don't know about elsewhere but here in California it sure doesn't work that way. If attendance drops of the school district doesn't get the same funding they get less, one reason why low attendance schools here get shut down and sold to property developers.

In California, school districts receive funding based on the number of students who attend school or what is known as Average Daily Attendance (ADA).

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Tyrannic A-@#$%s like this are a large reason private schools are packed and have waiting lists, and homeschooling - which requires serious lifestyle changes for many - is mushrooming. Most parents DO know what is best for their children, and have the right to implement that. This was recognized by the USSC a century ago (in response to anti-religious regs, BTW).

Public education money should follow students not buildings!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Hoodat

Public education money should follow students not buildings!

Word.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

Huh? I don't know about elsewhere but here in California it sure doesn't work that way. If attendance drops of the school district doesn't get the same funding they get less, one reason why low attendance schools here get shut down and sold to property developers.

In California, school districts receive funding based on the number of students who attend school or what is known as Average Daily Attendance (ADA).

I can't speak for California since their property taxes do not reflect real value.  Where do city and county school districts get their funding?  Here in the South, school funding comes from property taxes.  Sure, those municipalities dole money out based upon attendance.  But the money doled out is based upon the money collected in taxes.

Say a county collects $1 million earmarked for public education, and that county has 100 students.  That comes to $10k per student which they dole out based upon attendance.  But if the next year, that same school district has only 80 students, that comes to $12.5k per student.  So the schools get more money per student still in public school.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

I can't speak for California since their property taxes do not reflect real value.  Where do city and county school districts get their funding?  Here in the South, school funding comes from property taxes.  Sure, those municipalities dole money out based upon attendance.  But the money doled out is based upon the money collected in taxes.

Say a county collects $1 million earmarked for public education, and that county has 100 students.  That comes to $10k per student which they dole out based upon attendance.  But if the next year, that same school district has only 80 students, that comes to $12.5k per student.  So the schools get more money per student still in public school.
Yes in California the money comes from property taxes too but it is distributed to districts by school attendance so if attendance drops at a district so does funding, which makes sense because there are less students, but what never seems to happen is cuts at the supervisory level.

Offline Hoodat

Yes in California the money comes from property taxes too but it is distributed to districts by school attendance so if attendance drops at a district so does funding, which makes sense because there are less students, but what never seems to happen is cuts at the supervisory level.

So with less students, the supervisory level is left with more money.  Correct?  And a district receives property tax funding, doesn't that funding come exclusively from that district and not the State?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

So with less students, the supervisory level is left with more money.  Correct?  And a district receives property tax funding, doesn't that funding come exclusively from that district and not the State?

The total funds for the particular district/school is still dependent on ADA so no lower attendance equals lower funding. Each school/districts funding is calculated by Average Daily Attendance, this is why teachers unions and school districts love illegal aliens because it bumps up funding from the state.

Now my children have been out of public schools for decades but from what I have heard from my daughter as far as my grandson and my DIL who is a MFT working at a local school district nothing has changed from when I was in public school...back when dinosaurs still roamed.

Offline Hoodat

So if a county school system collects $500 million in property taxes, but there are no students enrolled in school, what happens to the money?

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline PeteS in CA

The $$ distribution hopper has an entrance and an exit. At the entrance, parents who send their kids to public school or who homeschool pay the same taxes. At the other end of the hopper, each school gets $$ based on ADA. So a specific school "loses" $$ until the per student rate is adjusted, but the overall system does not lose $$.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.