Author Topic: Seniors have stopped eating at Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Kamaji

Seniors have stopped eating at Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden
« on: September 22, 2023, 09:19:24 pm »
Seniors have stopped eating at Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden — and it’s not clear when they’ll come back

By Lisa Fickenscher
Published Sep. 22, 2023

Retirees have lost their appetite for Cracker Barrel and Olive Garden since the pandemic — and it’s not clear when they’ll come back, according to the chains’ top brass.

No amount of biscuits and gravy or unlimited pasta refills seems to be enough to entice the 65-and-older crowd as they continue to pinch pennies amid high inflation and duck the coronavirus, according to Rick Cardenas, chief executive of Darden Restaurants, which owns Olive Garden.

“I do believe that they were a little bit more spooked on the COVID side,” Cardenas told analysts on a Thursday conference call. “We’d love to see them come back more frequently.”

Indeed, seniors are heading to the budget-friendly pasta chain less often than they had before the pandemic, added chief financial officer Raj Vennam on a conference call on Thursday with Wall Street analysts.

He pointed to a “slight decline” in their numbers from the previous quarter. Olive Garden’s restaurants are hoping to lure customers in the coming weeks as it reintroduces its wildly popular Never Ending Pasta Bowl promotion on Sept. 25 through Nov. 19 at a price of $13.99.

Last year, Olive Garden staged the promotion at the first time since the pandemic at the same price — up from $10.99 in 2019. Adding unlimited meat toppings now costs an extra $4.99.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/22/seniors-have-cut-back-on-dinners-at-cracker-barrel-olive-garden/

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Seniors have stopped eating at Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 09:58:37 pm »
I guess the freeper money dried up for the O G.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 10:17:46 pm »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 11:01:15 pm »
We don't have a Cracker Barrel near us, but occasionally we'll either dine in at Olive Garden or do take out. We enjoy it.  Not the best Italian around here, but we think it's affordable and tasty.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 11:01:47 pm »
We only eat out locally on special occasions -- birthday, anniversary, valentines -- or when we are out of town. I cook. I guarantee you that when we do eat out, it won't be at Olive Garden or Cracker Barrel. I already have the restaurant picked out for my November birthday, a steakhouse. They have a senior menu and it will be the first time I'm qualified to order from that menu.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 11:03:38 pm »

:silly:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 01:05:13 pm »
Maybe because you can cook most of the meals at these restaurants at home?

I've never eaten at a Cracker Barrel but I know people who have and like it.

As for Italian, I would rather go to a mom and pop Italian restaurant a mile or so from me, I think their food is yummy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 01:09:15 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2023, 01:17:54 pm »
We don't have a Cracker Barrel near us, but occasionally we'll either dine in at Olive Garden or do take out. We enjoy it.  Not the best Italian around here, but we think it's affordable and tasty.

My sister lives in Orlando, Florida and one year she took us to a place called IL Pecatore and it was fantastic

Are you familiar with that restaurant?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2023, 02:31:58 pm »
Maybe because you can cook most of the meals at these restaurants at home?

I've never eaten at a Cracker Barrel but I know people who have and like it.

As for Italian, I would rather go to a mom and pop Italian restaurant a mile or so from me, I think their food is yummy.

I'll take a mom and pop over ANY chain every time @Gefn

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2023, 04:08:20 pm »

Out here in the hinterland, we can't just go to an authentic Italian restaurant. The closest thing I have is the Spaghetti Factory over in Spokane Wa... Outside of pizza joints, anyway... And none of that is what you would consider authentic, I am sure.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2023, 04:11:49 pm »
Just my $.02, but I always found Cracker Barrel's fried foods, lacking......   kind of like maybe they don't change their grease often enough.
And Olive Garden?.....    The El Cheapo in me just didn't care for paying $15 for a meal that is basically noodles.   And that was $15 over a decade ago.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2023, 04:16:43 pm »
We only eat out locally on special occasions -- birthday, anniversary, valentines -- or when we are out of town. I cook. I guarantee you that when we do eat out, it won't be at Olive Garden or Cracker Barrel. I already have the restaurant picked out for my November birthday, a steakhouse. They have a senior menu and it will be the first time I'm qualified to order from that menu.

Back east my family used to like to get together after church. They would descend upon a particular diner... And in the end, the diner shut down and became a private gathering for their Sunday lunch crowd...

I went back there and asked for brown gravy on hash browns with my breakfast and found out that's an oddity, but very well received... They have for years now offered a 'western breakfast' which is my exact order...

Such a great relationship with my family, them folks and their restaurant...

Nothing like that out here... We are known by name all over in this valley, but don't go out like that (weekly). Maybe once a year.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2023, 04:17:13 pm »

The several times we had lunch with JimRob, we ate at Cracker Barrel.   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2023, 04:18:07 pm »
Just my $.02, but I always found Cracker Barrel's fried foods, lacking......   kind of like maybe they don't change their grease often enough.
And Olive Garden?.....    The El Cheapo in me just didn't care for paying $15 for a meal that is basically noodles.   And that was $15 over a decade ago.

@catfish1957

Never have been inside of a Cracker Barrel restaurant in my entire 77 years!

BTW...love that commercial about some investment company...ends with the guy behind the counter telling him, "That'll be 16.95!"

...and he says, "Oh...I'm just paying for MY salad!"    :silly:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2023, 04:20:57 pm »
Never have been inside of a Cracker Barrel restaurant in my entire 77 years!

I've never even SEEN one. Or an Olive Garden, for that matter...

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2023, 04:23:32 pm »

When he visited Texas, it was always a BBQ joint.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2023, 04:25:03 pm »
I've never even SEEN one. Or an Olive Garden, for that matter...

LOL!  That just tells us you've been living in a cave.

It's no wonder you've developed the rigid POV.

Of course, I just went out this morning to remind me why I don't go out anymore!  888high58888
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2023, 04:33:09 pm »

Begs the question...who paid?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2023, 04:46:34 pm »
LOL!  That just tells us you've been living in a cave.
It's no wonder you've developed the rigid POV.

Nothing like that... I just don't think they're anywhere in the PACNW region. Last I was down off the mountain they weren't between here and Kansas City either.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2023, 04:53:52 pm »
My sister lives in Orlando, Florida and one year she took us to a place called IL Pecatore and it was fantastic

Are you familiar with that restaurant?

No. I live way south of Orlando and haven't been up that way in years.

There is a little Italian Mom & Pop restaurant here called Maria's.  Excellent food, a little pricey, so we go there on special occasions. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2023, 04:58:54 pm »
Well God Bless you! I went gray early and along with that I found that businesses were just automatically giving me senior discounts, at first I fought it...then I just embraced it :shrug: :silly:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2023, 04:59:22 pm »

Absolutely!  We have a great Mom & Pop bb'que restaurant dedicated to 9/11 and first responders.  It is excellent.  We have one other Mom & Pop that has various selections of fish and steaks,  Sunday brunch that is also excellent, they are somewhat pricey so we go there for special occasions.

Chain restaurants are for when I'm tired of cooking or we both just want to get out for a bit. I mostly cook, which I enjoy, but baking is what I love.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2023, 05:07:55 pm »
The Cracker Barrel and Olive Garden in my area are always packed...especially with seniors.

Whenever I get the urge for pancakes, eggs and bacon we head to CB where you can order off the breakfast menu all day...and at a reasonable price.

We have a mom and pop Italian rest. right down the street so ordering from there is more convenient but not necessarily cheap than driving to OG.....which to be honest I make better lasagna and spaghetti sauce.. :shrug:

I must say that CB and OG prices are basically the same as any restaurant around here.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2023, 05:12:40 pm »
Absolutely!  We have a great Mom & Pop bb'que restaurant dedicated to 9/11 and first responders.  It is excellent.  We have one other Mom & Pop that has various selections of fish and steaks,  Sunday brunch that is also excellent, they are somewhat pricey so we go there for special occasions.

Chain restaurants are for when I'm tired of cooking or we both just want to get out for a bit. I mostly cook, which I enjoy, but baking is what I love.

Mom and pops have total control over everything they serve all the time. Chains, at least in my experience, are hit and miss at best. I tend to avoid the chains.

We had a mom-and-pop BBQ joint here that was world class until the opened stores in two more locations. The quality has declined markedly.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 05:16:50 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2023, 05:41:39 pm »

I don't mind chains @Bigun

I just like supporting small businesses if I can and the food or items are better.

And the service too. IMHO.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️