Author Topic: Storm aimed at East Coast has been named Tropical Storm Ophelia: Latest updates  (Read 937 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
ropical Storm Ophelia formed Friday afternoon just off the Southeast coast, a storm that promises to deliver a messy mix of heavy rain, strong winds, storm surge and even possible tornadoes to much of the East Coast over the weekend.

"People in coastal areas should take this storm seriously," AccuWeather meteorologist Bernie Rayno said. "This is going to be a nasty and formidable storm."

Tropical storm conditions were expected to begin Friday along portions of the East Coast. According to the National Hurricane Center, there is also a danger of life-threatening storm surge, high surf and rip currents, along with heavy rainfall across the Mid-Atlantic, from North Carolina to New Jersey.

Ophelia is likely to bring several inches of rain, according to the hurricane center, impacting outdoor events and NFL games.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2023/09/22/tropical-cyclone-ophelia-east-coast-storm-surge-updates/70928621007/
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
hmm. Never thought of Ophelia as  a lucky name.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
hmm. Never thought of Ophelia as  a lucky name.
Well it seems fitting for a storm, the connection being water :silly:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Glenn Youngkin issues state of emergency for Virginia ahead of Tropical Storm Ophelia
by Rachel Schilke, Breaking News Reporter
September 22, 2023 02:09 PM

Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R-VA) issued a state of emergency for Virginia ahead of a storm expected to hit Friday.

“As this storm has organized and strengthened, it's becoming clear based on the latest forecasts that impacts to the commonwealth are likely,” Youngkin said in a statement. “We want to ensure that all communities, particularly those with the greatest anticipated impact, have the resources they need to respond and recover from the effects of this storm."

"Since this storm has the potential to have a range of impacts across numerous localities in the commonwealth, I encourage all Virginians and visitors to keep up with the latest forecast for their area from a trusted source, make a plan, and have their emergency kits read," the governor added.

The governor's office warned residents they should prepare for "severe rainfall, flooding, wind damage, tornadoes, and other storm-related impacts" beginning Friday through Sunday.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/glenn-youngkin-issues-state-of-emergency-tropical-cyclone
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Oh crap! I have kin right in the path of that one.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

Prayers up!!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

Prayers up!!
Thanks! I have sent a few, too!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I have a niece and her family in Louisburg, NC who looks to get hit hard and my brother in Cary, NC who probably won't get much out of it. Prayers to all affected by this storm.

Offline Smokin Joe

I have a niece and her family in Louisburg, NC who looks to get hit hard and my brother in Cary, NC who probably won't get much out of it. Prayers to all affected by this storm.
Yes, prayers up for anyone in the path of this. I'm looking at the storm surge possibilities in the Chesapeake, Potomac, James and other estuaries...That could get messy for some, and anyone with a boat over or waterfront property.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Well it seems fitting for a storm, the connection being water :silly:

:facepalm2:

Actually, it's rather brilliant. Thank you for the giggles @GtHawk

The last time  I had a storm,  the gutter didn't work and my patio flooded, it came right up to the slide doors. One more inch and it would have come inside.

I hope I don't get rain on my carpet. I'm moving some furniture away from near the window.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 12:55:39 pm by Gefn »

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Online mountaineer

latest update on the storm from North Carolina from Accuweather
Thanks, Gefn. I'm glad it's no longer a hurricane. I hope my friends near Wilmington didn't get hit too hard. My cousin in Delaware will get a heavy rain. The westernmost part of it should affect us in the upper Ohio valley - need to get out and cut some grass before it arrives!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org