Author Topic: It’s big: The UK does a NetZero u-turn on cars, heaters, and promises no taxes on meat or flights  (Read 247 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
It’s big: The UK does a NetZero u-turn on cars, heaters, and promises no taxes on meat or flights

By Jo Nova

Was this the “Peak NetZero” moment for the British Isles?
Perhaps the threat of jailing people for owning the wrong fridge was a step too far?

On Monday the UK government was insisting the ban on petrol cars by 2030 would still go ahead. Today, in a rush, it’s been delayed 5 years, along with slowing down the forced push to get rid of gas boilers. About a fifth of all householders apparently won’t ever have to buy a wildly expensive heat pump they could not afford. (Shame the other four fifths will). People won’t be getting seven different recycling bins, taxes on meat, flying and new rules on car sharing, at least not yet. Here’s hoping they’ll get delayed forever.

Naturally the PM is insisting this is “not a short term decision aimed at winning the next election” — because in a democracy, that would be a terrible thing, right. Imagine trying to appeal to voters. The Sin of it!

Labor immediately promised to undo this travesty of allowing the public to choose whatever kind of car they want for another five years. Which is good news. If Rishi Sunak really does this, and the election becomes “a climate vote”, the people of the UK might get a choice.

https://joannenova.com.au/2023/09/its-big-the-uk-does-a-netzero-u-turn-on-cars-heaters-and-promises-no-taxes-on-meat-or-flights/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Sounds like they make a lot of noise, pass some draconian shit, then promptly reverse it all once the predictable reactions come. They sound almost as useless as our legislatures are.

Offline Kamaji

Meanwhile, the worthless piece of meat occupying the throne is now claiming that climate change is an "existential crisis".

:facepalm2: