Author Topic: AT&T Successfully Made a 5G Phone Call From Space  (Read 499 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
AT&T Successfully Made a 5G Phone Call From Space
« on: September 21, 2023, 12:10:47 am »
Cord Cutters  By Shelby Brown on September 19, 2023

AT&T phone home? Well, sort of. AST SpaceMobile, the cellular satellite company backed by the mobile carrier, placed a satellite call over 5G. It’s the “first ever” 5G connection between an unmodified smartphone and a space satellite.

On September 8, AST SpaceMobile used a Samsung Galaxy S22 smartphone in a wireless dead zone in Maui, Hawaii, to call a Vodafone engineer in Madrid, Spain. Between AT&T’s 5G spectrum, Nokia’s network core and AST SpaceMobile’s low Earth orbit satellite, BlueWalker 3, the cell signal reached its destination.

This is a huge step forward for global connectivity. Being able to connect a low Earth orbit satellite to regular, everyday smartphones could potentially eliminate the notion of dead zones. This means reliable, quality connectivity in remote areas, perhaps for the first time, which would be a boon for emergency services.

The 5G home internet competition is fierce and interest in satellite connectivity is growing. T-Mobile and Space X’s Starlink announced a 5G partnership in August. Starlink has over 5,000 internet satellites in orbit with more planned to launch in the near future. Amazon plans to launch a low-Earth orbit satellite constellation, currently codenamed Project Kuiper, and Vodafone wants to use Project Kuiper’s high-bandwidth, low-latency network to improve connectivity services in Africa and Europe, two areas where the company has high concentrations of customers.

More: https://cordcuttersnews.com/att-successfully-made-a-5g-phone-call-from-space/

Offline roamer_1

Re: AT&T Successfully Made a 5G Phone Call From Space
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2023, 12:30:54 am »
It's getting so weird... I mean, already with a portable Starlink setup, and cell over internet or a VOIP phone, I can make a call or pull down a movie in the most remote camp I can think of - Or at least the most remote I can still get a truck to... That's crazy cool... Taking a phone call at camp.

Now cell from even further in the backwoods than that.