Author Topic: NYC could create a reparations task force and tear down statues of George Washington and Columbus  (Read 522 times)

Online Kamaji

NYC Council advances bid that could yank monuments honoring Washington, Jefferson, Columbus

By Carl Campanile
Published Sep. 18, 2023

New York’s City Council — which just passed a budget that’s already been deemed a flop — is now spending some of its time advancing a plan that could kill off monuments honoring figures such as George Washington.

The Democratic-led council’s Cultural Affairs Committee is set to hold a public hearing Tuesday on a proposal to yank artworks from city property dedicated to historical figures such as George Washington, Peter Stuyvesant and Christopher Columbus because of their controversial pasts.

But critics immediately branded the effort as cancel culture run amok.

“Columbus was a migrant!’’ fumed Angelo Vivolo, president of the Columbus Heritage Coalition.

Vivolo vowed to fight any attempt to remove monuments of the famous Italian explorer from city parkland — including the most recognizable statue at Columbus Circle.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/18/nyc-council-advances-bid-that-could-yank-monuments-honoring-washington-jefferson-columbus/

Online Kamaji

Meh.  Quite honestly, I think that Washington, Jefferson, and Columbus would be both embarrassed and disappointed to see what NYC has made of itself.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
NYC could create a reparations task force and tear down statues of George Washington and Columbus
by Rachel Schilke, Breaking News Reporter
September 19, 2023 08:42 AM

The New York City Council is considering creating a reparations task force and removing statues of historical figures using the limited funds at its disposal as the council and much of the city's agencies face significant budget cuts.

One of the council's committees will meet on Tuesday to propose allocating resources toward removing artworks that "depict a person who owned enslaved persons or directly benefited economically from slavery, or who participated in systemic crimes against indigenous peoples or other crimes against humanity," per the council's agenda.

This removal process would affect several statues across the city, including ones of George Washington, New York governor and settler Peter Stuyvesant, and Christopher Columbus. However, if the Public Design Commission decided the statue or installation did not need to be removed, the Cultural Affairs Committee says the PDC should be required to place an "explanatory plaque" next to the work of art.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/nyc-reparations-task-force-tear-down-george-washington-columbus-statues
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
New York isn't worth saving.

Billy Joel was right -- way back a long time ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isG3qkQXBic

Online DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

As far as Columbus goes ... I never understood why we celebrate a navigator who got lost.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
////00000////

As far as Columbus goes ... I never understood why we celebrate a navigator who got lost.

He was revered by Italian immigrants way back when.