Author Topic: Why shopping app Temu could be cause for consumer concern  (Read 978 times)

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Why shopping app Temu could be cause for consumer concern
« on: September 18, 2023, 01:14:51 pm »
If you hadn't yet heard of Temu, chances are you would have soon. Consider it a wannabe Amazon, another morally questionable online retailer with prices so low you can understand why an inflation-plagued consumer would want to take advantage. And it's only getting more popular — unique visitors in the U.S. catapulted from 5.1 million at the time of its launch in September 2022 to 70.1 million by February 2023, the Los Angeles Times reported per Insider Intelligence. At the time of this writing, it was the #1 free app on the Apple App Store, besting YouTube TV, TikTok and Instagram, as well as WhatsApp, Facebook and (believe it or not) Amazon.

Though PDD Holdings, the Chinese company that owns Temu, is based in Shanghai, Temu itself is based in Boston. Still, that fact hasn't stopped lawmakers and government officials from throwing flags regarding the retailer's origins and business practices. In April, the U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission released a report mentioning both Temu and Shein, an extremely popular fast-fashion website, as "two Chinese companies of concern over issues related to exploitation of trade loopholes, product safety, forced labor, violations of intellectual property rights and more," the Times summarized. (Both websites, which Insider noted share many similarities, have also filed lawsuits against one another.) But when you can buy a knock-off JBL speaker for $11.49 or an Apple Watch dupe for $16.88, can you blame the average cash-strapped consumer for overlooking supposed shadiness in exchange for a good deal?

https://theweek.com/china/1026408/temu-consumer-concern-china
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline mountaineer

Re: Why shopping app Temu could be cause for consumer concern
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 01:17:24 pm »
the Chinese company that owns Temu
As soon as I read the first sentence, I figured as much. Too good to be true! Cheap stuff!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 01:19:00 pm »
As soon as I read the first sentence, I figured as much. Too good to be true! Cheap stuff!

I know several people who have been  or had ordered from this site. Also I keep getting popup ads for it.

If it looks too good to be true, it probably isn't so they say.

@mountaineer
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 02:47:43 pm »
 ////00000////

What's not to like?

Temu is a distrubtion channel for the Chinese Communist Party.  They buy the dangerous, predatory-priced, slave-labor products from John Kerry's factories, and pass the savings on to us.

... as they put more American industries out of business and compromise more of our electronic devices.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 02:49:25 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 04:38:43 pm »
////00000////

What's not to like?

Temu is a distrubtion channel for the Chinese Communist Party.  They buy the dangerous, predatory-priced, slave-labor products from John Kerry's factories, and pass the savings on to us.

... as they put more American industries out of business and compromise more of our electronic devices.
How many of those gadgets are made there, anyway?
I have seen an abundance of gadgets and widgets, mostly tools and such,  that have tempted me, but I haven't pulled the trigger.
Still, I wonder if their American marketed equivalents aren't the same product from the same source, just relabeled and marked up.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 02:48:50 pm »
Even a sleazy Chicom plant like this is destined to be a failed business endeavor.  Believe me folks, Amazon has a stranglehold on the on-line trade markets.  It has the infrastructure, networking, and an institutionalized named standard that is inpenetrable.

This is comprable to me formulating a new cola soft drink in my garage, and trying to compete with Coke and Pepsi.  I think there is possibly something more sinister involved here.   
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 03:27:46 pm »
I do like the little portable washing machine I see advertised repeatedly on Facebook but I heard Temu is a scam like wish.com.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 04:06:57 pm »
Even a sleazy Chicom plant like this is destined to be a failed business endeavor.  Believe me folks, Amazon has a stranglehold on the on-line trade markets.  It has the infrastructure, networking, and an institutionalized named standard that is inpenetrable.

This is comprable to me formulating a new cola soft drink in my garage, and trying to compete with Coke and Pepsi.  I think there is possibly something more sinister involved here.

I started using TEMU a month or so ago thinking they would have better deals than Beso's place.   After reading this post I went pack and looked and compared.   Turns out on all but one item Amazon had a better price.  Not to mention Amazon kills TEMU with faster shipping.   

I'm done using the Chinkcom site.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 07:44:51 pm »
The Grizzly Research report linked in the article claims that Temu loses $30 on every order.  What is in it for them if they are willing to lose that much money?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 07:46:20 pm »
The Grizzly Research report linked in the article claims that Temu loses $30 on every order.  What is in it for them if they are willing to lose that much money?

Credit card numbers?
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 07:49:15 pm »
Credit card numbers?
Debit card data, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 07:54:53 pm »
I suspect it's all about data mining.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org