Author Topic: GOP’s slim majority in the House grows even smaller after Chris Stewart retirement  (Read 365 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP’s slim majority in the House grows even smaller after Chris Stewart retirement
by Cami Mondeaux, Congressional Reporter
September 16, 2023 01:53 PM

Rep. Chris Stewart (R-UT) effectively resigned from the House on Friday, altering the current makeup of the lower chamber and decreasing Republicans’ already-slim majority to just three seats — giving GOP leaders little room for error as they navigate a battle over government spending.

With Stewart’s absence, there are now 433 members in the House, with 221 Republicans and 212 Democrats. There are two vacancies in the lower chamber left by Stewart as well as former Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI), who resigned earlier this year.

“As I sat on the airplane last night, flying home from DC for the last time as a Member of Congress, I started to think about this amazing experience, the incredible people I have meet, and the things I have learned,” Stewart wrote in an online statement. “All of these things have made me a better person. But the one thing I learned that matters above all is the goodness of the American people. The goodness of the people in Utah. It has reaffirmed my faith in humanity, and God, and our future.”

“We are in a critical fight for our nation and our freedom,” he added. “And this fight grows intense. But because of good people, I have faith in our future.”
Stewart announced he would be retiring from his House seat in late May, citing his wife’s health as the reason for his early departure from the seat he’s held for 10 years. News of his departure attracted a crowded field of GOP candidates seeking to replace him, with attorney Celeste Maloy winning the party’s nomination earlier this month.

If she wins, it will mark the first time since 1997 that a female candidate was elected to represent the 2nd Congressional District, which encompasses much of the western portion of the state, stretching from the outskirts of the Salt Lake City area down to St. George in the south.

Maloy is expected to win in the general election in November, as the seat is considered to be safely Republican. She’ll face Democratic candidate Kathleen Riebe in the general special election on Nov. 21.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/gop-slim-majority-grows-smaller-after-chris-stewart-retirement
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bilo

I hope his wife's health improves.

Does it really matter if the Pubs have a majority? It's not like, other than a minority of them, have shown a willingness to really fight for anything.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

I hope his wife's health improves.

Does it really matter if the Pubs have a majority? It's not like, other than a minority of them, have shown a willingness to really fight for anything.

You bring up a good point other than the DEMS do take advantage of their majority, so yes, indeed we need a GOP majority in both houses.  Leadership is key though and McCarthy isn't exactly the personification of conservatism, nor is McConnell. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

You bring up a good point other than the DEMS do take advantage of their majority, so yes, indeed we need a GOP majority in both houses.  Leadership is key though and McCarthy isn't exactly the personification of conservatism, nor is McConnell.

We would have a bigger majority if the elections were honest and our leaders had a history of being fighters. What's even more frustrating is when we do have tough aggressive Pubs in office that are willing to fight our leadership and a lot of Pubs run away from them.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online roamer_1

We would have a bigger majority if the elections were honest and our leaders had a history of being fighters. What's even more frustrating is when we do have tough aggressive Pubs in office that are willing to fight our leadership and a lot of Pubs run away from them.

Not using 94 Congress as an example...