Author Topic: Report: Fulton County DA Fani Willis ignored exculpatory evidence in Trump case  (Read 1166 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Report: Fulton County DA Fani Willis ignored exculpatory evidence in Trump case

Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis is one of the Democrat prosecutors waging lawfare against Donald Trump.

Willis’s bogus charges look like they may collapse.

And Fani Willis is terrified of this shocking document that will destroy her case against Trump.

Elected Democrat Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis indicted Donald Trump and 18 other co-defendants for a racketeering conspiracy to overturn the results of the election.

One of the key charges Willis leveled was against Georgia GOP Chair David Shafer and Trump campaign attorney Ray Smith for conspiracy to defraud authorities by presenting themselves as the legitimate electors from Georgia to the Electoral College.

https://swampdigest.com/report-fulton-county-da-fani-willis-ignored-exculpatory-evidence-in-trump-case/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Kamaji

So what?  A prosecutor is not required to take into account supposedly exculpatory evidence - it's usually a good idea as a practical matter, because it conserves the prosecutor's resources - but it is not mandatory, and a prosecutor will not face disciplinary charges for failing to take into account exculpatory evidence.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
I wouldn't pin a lot of hope on a story that appears only in something called "Swamp Digest".

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So what?  A prosecutor is not required to take into account supposedly exculpatory evidence - it's usually a good idea as a practical matter, because it conserves the prosecutor's resources - but it is not mandatory, and a prosecutor will not face disciplinary charges for failing to take into account exculpatory evidence.
Not to get an indictment, but suppressing Brady Material is a crime.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Kamaji

Not to get an indictment, but suppressing Brady Material is a crime.

The claim wasn't about suppressing Brady material, it was about not taking this exculpatory evidence "into account" in deciding to issue the indictments in the first place.

And no, failing to provide Brady material is not a crime; it is typically dealt with by reversing a criminal conviction, provided that the Brady material would have had a good chance of changing the outcome.

Offline Smokin Joe

The claim wasn't about suppressing Brady material, it was about not taking this exculpatory evidence "into account" in deciding to issue the indictments in the first place.

And no, failing to provide Brady material is not a crime; it is typically dealt with by reversing a criminal conviction, provided that the Brady material would have had a good chance of changing the outcome.
I stand corrected. Legally not, morally so, and I should know better than confuse legalities with what is morally correct.

Can those who have been harmed by such bring suit for damages?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

////00000////

From what I've seen on Law & Order and from the Boston FBI Corruption case, not handing over exculpatory evidence is a no-no for a Government prosecutor.

Trials are meant to be a search for truth ... that ship has sailed if it ever floated.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

////00000////

From what I've seen on Law & Order and from the Boston FBI Corruption case, not handing over exculpatory evidence is a no-no for a Government prosecutor.

Trials are meant to be a search for truth ... that ship has sailed if it ever floated.

Yes, it is a no-no, but what happens if it doesn't get turned over is not criminal charges against the offending prosecutor, and typically not even a disciplinary referral.  Instead, a convicted defendant appeals to have the verdict overturned; an acquitted defendant has no grounds for complaint.

Online Kamaji

I stand corrected. Legally not, morally so, and I should know better than confuse legalities with what is morally correct.

Can those who have been harmed by such bring suit for damages?

Generally no.  If the defendant is convicted, then his recourse is to appeal the conviction on the grounds of a Brady violation; if he is acquitted, then there has been no harm, and therefore nothing to be done.

Offline Smokin Joe

Generally no.  If the defendant is convicted, then his recourse is to appeal the conviction on the grounds of a Brady violation; if he is acquitted, then there has been no harm, and therefore nothing to be done.
The amount of harm depends on if the defendant kept their job, had legal fees, etc. You can be hurt pretty badly, even if acquitted.

C S Lewis

Online Kamaji

The amount of harm depends on if the defendant kept their job, had legal fees, etc. You can be hurt pretty badly, even if acquitted.

Good luck suing.  Sec. 1983 cases don't often yield much, and if there was sufficient evidence to make out a prima facie case, then you're basically USCWAP.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@Kamaji is right on this.  It's kind of a nothingburger of a story because prosecutors choose not to present grand juries with potentially exculpatory information all the time.  It's why the "ham sandwich" saying exists.