Author Topic: DHS watchdog finds officials released 177,000 migrants into US with missing or faulty addresses  (Read 209 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
DHS watchdog finds officials released 177,000 migrants into US with missing or faulty addresses
DHS says the OIG has not accounted for improvements made by the agency
Adam Shaw By Adam Shaw Fox News
Published September 13, 2023 2:28pm EDT

The Department of Homeland Security’s internal watchdog has found that officials at the besieged southern border often failed to accurately obtain the addresses of tens of thousands of the migrants it released into the United States – finding that at least 177,000 migrants have been released after giving either an invalid or illegitimate address, or not giving one at all, to Border Patrol agents.

The DHS Office of Inspector General issued an audit finding that Border Patrol and Immigration and Customs Enforcement cannot and does not always record the post-release addresses of migrants before they are released.

The addresses are taken to track and locate migrants once they are released into the U.S., to send them documentation to determine which field offices may check in with them. Addresses are also used to locate those who are subject to deportation orders. The watchdog reviewed 981,671 migrant records between March 2021 and August 2022, which marked the first year and a half of the migrant crisis which is still raging today. They found that more than 177,000 records were either missing, invalid, or not legitimate. Notably, more than 54,000 address records were left blank.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dhs-watchdog-finds-officials-released-177000-migrants-us-missing-invalid-addresses
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson