Author Topic: Portland schools’ new ‘equitable’ grading will fail kids who need help  (Read 480 times)

Online Kamaji

Portland schools’ new ‘equitable’ grading will fail kids who need help

By Rikki Schlott
Published Sep. 15, 2023

Portland, Oregon, public schools are looking to introduce “equitable” grading practices — and erasing excellence in the process.

The troubled progressive city’s school district is toying with proposals to make grades more even across the board by no longer flunking underperformers and increasing the value of “non-academic factors” in the grading process.

Among the new guidelines: no more zeroes, no more 100-point scale, no more points docked for late work and no more grade penalties for kids who cheat.

According to a memo from the district, the changes were inspired by concern over racial disparities in grades.

The district’s Chief Academic Officer Kimberlee Armstrong told KGW8 News that the changes are “about fairness,”

“It’s about reducing bias, it’s about considering diverse backgrounds and needs of students,” she said.

But where’s the fairness in letting cheaters and slackers coast by?

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/15/portland-schools-equitable-grades-will-fail-kids-who-need-help/

Online Kamaji

These people are so intensely stupid, it hurts just to read about it.

Offline mountaineer

“It’s about reducing bias, it’s about considering diverse backgrounds and needs of students,” she said.
Rather, it's the implicit bias progressives hold against people of color. They wouldn't take this step if they didn't believe black kids were inferior and incapable.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Kamaji

Rather, it's the implicit bias progressives hold against people of color. They wouldn't take this step if they didn't believe black kids were inferior and incapable.

Exactly.

Offline LMAO

People pushing this garbage would never tolerate this when it comes to their own kids

Why do you think they enroll their kids in private schools?
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline PeteS in CA

These people are so intensely stupid, it hurts just to read about it.

What hurts me is that I know that the kids who do not get necessary feedback will think they're just fine, until they find that getting and holding a decent job requires Reading and Math, and other academic skills. This no-feedback BS (i.e. no grades that tell you where you need to improve) is destroying people's futures.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Kamaji

What hurts me is that I know that the kids who do not get necessary feedback will think they're just fine, until they find that getting and holding a decent job requires Reading and Math, and other academic skills. This no-feedback BS (i.e. no grades that tell you where you need to improve) is destroying people's futures.

That too.