Author Topic: UAW prepares to strike as contract talks hit deadline  (Read 1645 times)

Online libertybele

UAW prepares to strike as contract talks hit deadline
« on: September 14, 2023, 06:35:57 pm »
UAW prepares to strike as contract talks hit deadline

Staff at three of America's biggest carmakers are poised to strike in an unprecedented co-ordinated action.

With current labour contracts set to expire on Thursday night, the United Autoworkers Union said the companies had not put forward acceptable offers.

The fight threatens to trigger higher prices for buyers and major disruption for the firms: GM, Ford and Stellantis.

The UAW said the likely strike would start on Friday at a small number of sites - with the potential to expand.

"We are seeing movement from the companies, but they're still not willing to agree on the kinds of raises that will make up for inflation on top of decades of falling wages," UAW president Shawn Fain said on Wednesday in an update to workers.

The union had sought a 40% pay increase for its roughly 140,000 members over four years, noting a comparable rise in pay for company leaders.

Other demands included:

a four-day working week
    the return of automatic pay increases tied to inflation
    stricter limits on how long workers can be considered "temporary" staff who do not receive union benefits

Talks between the two sides, which kicked off in July, were tense from the start, with Mr Fain forgoing the symbolic handshake with executives that has traditionally launched negotiations. Last month, 97% of members voted to authorise a strike.

As of Wednesday,the three companies have upped their initial proposals, with Ford offering a 20% hike in pay over the contract term, GM offering 18%, and Stellantis, the owner of Jeep and Chrysler, 17.5%, Mr Fain said.

Workers said the companies could afford to be more generous, after years of record profits.

"In my opinion we are owed this," said Paul Raczka, who works in a Stellantis factory in Michigan making Jeep Grand Cherokees.
Paul Raczka.................

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-66803278
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: UAW prepares to strike as contract talks hit deadline
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 07:09:31 pm »
40% pay increase - Are you $h!tt!ng me?

a four-day working week - Are we talking 32 hour work weeks or (4) 10 hour days?

the return of automatic pay increases tied to inflation - Nope.

stricter limits on how long workers can be considered "temporary" staff who do not receive union benefits - Reasonable
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 09:45:08 pm »
Let them strike.

No longer matters.

Online corbe

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 10:12:46 pm »
   The big 3 anticipated this and not only recovered from the 'chip shortage' they have managed to fill all their overflow lots to capacity with new cars/trucks when few people can afford a new car or truck with bidenomics raging.  I'd postulate that they have a 4-6 month supply.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 10:13:39 pm by corbe »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2023, 10:15:02 pm »
40% pay increase - Are you $h!tt!ng me?

a four-day working week - Are we talking 32 hour work weeks or (4) 10 hour days?

the return of automatic pay increases tied to inflation - Nope.

stricter limits on how long workers can be considered "temporary" staff who do not receive union benefits - Reasonable

I agree with you, but they'll eventually get their way with we the consumer paying the higher prices.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 10:24:55 pm »
They are hell bent on making sure soon you aren't going to be able to buy a new car for under a $100K.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 12:02:49 pm »
Wonder how long the average UAW worker can afford to stay on strike?  The strike fund ain't as deep as it once was back in the olden days.

IIRC Honda, Toyota, Nissan and a few others are Union Free so there is that option for cars. 

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 12:15:01 pm »
They are hell bent on making sure soon you aren't going to be able to buy a new car for under a $100K.

Yup.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 12:30:30 pm »
The market for used vehicles will soar.

Working a 32-hour week for 40-hour pay just makes perfect sense. I think we've seen how this goes at McDonald's, where hamburger flippers make $15-20 per hour, and the prices just keep going up.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2023, 12:39:47 pm »
The United Auto Workers union is on strike against General Motors, Ford and Stellantis, the first time in its history that it has struck all three of America’s unionized automakers at the same time.

Workers on Friday walked out of three plants – one each from the Big Three automakers – in Missouri, Michigan and Ohio. Picketers were met with cheers from sign-waving union members.

The UAW referred to its targeted strike of three plants as a “Stand Up Strike,” which it called a strategic “new approach” to walking off the job.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/15/business/auto-workers-strike/index.html
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2023, 12:44:57 pm »
I see a boom in the market for assembly line robots, and a bunch of new start-ups developing AI for assembling cars.

These fools are going to price themselves right out of their jobs soon enough.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2023, 12:50:11 pm »
These fools are going to price themselves right out of their jobs soon enough.
It's the union way.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2023, 12:54:36 pm »
It's the union way.

It certainly is.  Back in the 1960s, my FiL had a pretty decent job as an assembler with an aircraft factory on L.I.; however, the union got greedy, and it wasn't long before the company closed up shop and moved elsewhere.  My FiL ended up driving school buses for the rest of his life.  That job was also union, but even so, the pay and benefits from that job were a long way short of what he had been getting at the aircraft factory.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2023, 01:07:58 pm »
It's the union way.

"Look for the Union Label".

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2023, 01:10:42 pm »
CNN’s Tapper to Ford CEO Farley: You Have Given Yourself Huge Raises, Why Can’t Workers Share in the Profits?

Thursday on CNN’s “The Lead,” anchor Jake Tapper asked Ford CEO Jim Farley why, after CEOs got large raises, they can’t “share the profits” with the workers to avoid a strike.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2023/09/14/cnns-tapper-to-ford-ceo-farley-you-have-given-yourself-huge-raises-why-cant-workers-share-in-the-profits/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2023, 02:03:00 pm »
This is not the America of 1950s where there are jobs around the corner for those without Masters Degrees.

If the union workers want to share in the profits, they can buy the company's stock or stock options, if offered.

Executive inflation is an issue that needs to be taken on by Boards, shareholders, and feduciary fund managers.

Robots don't strike.  Some states don't have unions.  Other countries would love to the auto industry relocate to them.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2023, 04:10:49 pm »
I love the idiocy of the UAW.  Do they really think they will garner public support asking to be paid  for 40 hours while doing  32 hours of work.....  while passing the cost on to the consumer.  I hope they lose their asses on this one.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Wingnut

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2023, 04:21:40 pm »
Joe Biden is scheduled to address the strike later today.  His remarks with shall include, lots of mumbling, anger, a few whispering statements and he'll close with a personal story about the time he worked on a GM assembly line building 67 Corvettes.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2023, 09:39:29 pm »
From reply 10 above:
"Workers on Friday walked out of three plants – one each from the Big Three automakers – in Missouri, Michigan and Ohio. Picketers were met with cheers from sign-waving union members.
The UAW referred to its targeted strike of three plants as a “Stand Up Strike,” which it called a strategic “new approach” to walking off the job."

Wait a minute.

Does this mean that "the strike" (against each of the automakers) is at ONLY ONE LOCATION?

If so, what's going on at the other assembly and fabrication plants?
Business as usual?

The "traditional" way the UAW conducted strikes was at ONE of "the big three" automakers, at all that [one] company's plants.

But something else seems to be going on here.

I'm guessing this is really a "for show" strike and not a REAL strike (in which the entire company would be shut down)...?

Online corbe

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2023, 09:53:39 pm »
   My question also @Fishrrman (I did a brief search this morning, to no avail) to figure out what they were producing at these 3 plants they Striked, worthless cars no one was buying anyway?   :shrug:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2023, 11:38:36 pm »
The market for used vehicles will soar.

The market for non-union American made autos (VW, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, BMW, etc.) will also soar
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Wingnut

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2023, 11:46:45 pm »
The market for non-union American made autos (VW, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, BMW, etc.) will also soar

I gave up on GM and Ford years ago.  Might still look at Ram or Jeep.  But I like Toyota because they are not giving up on ICE engines.

Offline catfish1957

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2023, 11:49:09 pm »
I gave up on GM and Ford years ago.  Might still look at Ram or Jeep.  But I like Toyota because they are not giving up on ICE engines.

If the dipshits at Ford prefer not to make ICE F-150's, I can definitinely live with a Tundra.

Online corbe

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2023, 11:53:39 pm »
   Tundra's are built 40 miles south of me in SanTonio, non-union shop.