Author Topic: Supreme Court Could Make Decisions on Excessive J6 Sentences  (Read 737 times)

Online Kamaji

Supreme Court Could Make Decisions on Excessive J6 Sentences
« on: September 14, 2023, 12:48:39 pm »
Supreme Court Could Make Decisions on Excessive J6 Sentences

By Eric Lendrum
September 14, 2023

The Supreme Court of the United States could soon have a say on the constitutionality of the extreme sentences that have been handed out to many participants in the January 6th protest at the U.S. Capitol.

The Daily Caller reports that two January 6th defendants, Edward Lang and Garrett Miller, are taking their cases to the Supreme Court to have their obstruction charges dismissed due to “prosecutorial overcharging.” The two men say that federal prosecutors greatly expanded the interpretation of an unrelated statute in order to “over-penalize” the men due to their conservative beliefs.

The statute in question is Section 1512(c)(2), which dictates a maximum prison sentence of 20 years for anyone who “obstructs, influences, or impedes any official proceeding.” The law was originally created to deal with evidence tampering, but has since been expanded to include the counting of the electoral college votes for the 2020 election, which was temporarily disrupted by the protesters.

On August 30th, three other defendants filed an amicus brief asking the Supreme Court to hear their cases in order to prevent “a cascade of errors and misconceptions in the application of the law and undeserved harm to the defendants and the public perception of the courts.” These three defendants themselves have cases pending before the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, where most of the January 6th cases are being decided. Thus far, over 200 defendants have been charged using this particular statute.

Source:  https://amgreatness.com/2023/09/14/supreme-court-could-make-decisions-on-excessive-j6-sentences/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Supreme Court Could Make Decisions on Excessive J6 Sentences
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 08:50:20 pm »
It would be nice to pull the legs out from under the punitive persecutions of the 1/6 defendants.

Get some!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 10:36:49 pm »
It would be nice to pull the legs out from under the punitive persecutions of the 1/6 defendants.

Get some!

***agree
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2023, 11:18:10 pm »
"cruel and unusual" is open to interpretation.

The Supreme Court could void the long sentences as cruel and unusal punishment.

I'm sure Alito can pull something out his behind.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.