Author Topic: ‘Rich Men North of Richmond’ singer Oliver Anthony cancels show over high ticket prices  (Read 519 times)

Online Kamaji

‘Rich Men North of Richmond’ singer Oliver Anthony cancels show over high ticket prices: ‘Supposed to be affordable’

By Joshua Lynch
Published Sep. 14, 2023

Singer Oliver Anthony, 31, canceled his concert in Tennessee when the venue charged $99 for tickets and nearly double for a meet and greet, pleading with fans not to spend the hefty price tag.

Anthony, the Virginia artist behind the viral “Rich Men North of Richmond” tune, was scheduled to perform at the “Cotton Eyed Joe” bar in Knoxville before he and the venue couldn’t come to an agreement over the pricing.

The venue charged $99 for standard tickets and around $200 for a package that includes an opportunity to meet the singer, according to WVLT.

The country-folk singer expressed in a rant in multiple Facebook posts that he wants his shows to be an affordable low-cost experience, calling the meet-and-greet fee “horses—t” and “supposed to be free.”

“I apologize for the price at Cotton Eyed Joe,” Anthony said Tuesday. “Have a friend of mine trying to help me book gigs. I told him I don’t want to do anything that’s more than $40 a ticket, ideally no more than $25 a piece. These are supposed to be affordable shows. Please don’t pay $90 for a ticket.”

“Ultimately, it’s my fault for not being more directly involved with the venues who have reached out. My plate has been full and I delegated the responsibility to someone else to help me book,” Anthony explained in a separate post.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/14/oliver-anthony-tells-fans-not-to-buy-90-tickets-cancels-show-in-defiance-of-venue-supposed-to-be-affordable/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
 :beer:

Cool!  He may not be Taylor Schift,  but the guy seems genuine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
 888high58888

Smart man. God Bless him.
He will make plenty of money, but getting greedy would be unseemly.

As Dr. Hook reminded us...
Well, we're big rock singers, we got golden fingers
And we're loved everywhere we go (that sounds like us)
We sing about beauty and we sing about truth
At ten thousand dollars a show (right)
(back when ten thousand was a LOT...)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 02:33:31 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
:beer:

Cool!  He may not be Taylor Schift,  but the guy seems genuine.
And unlike Swift, he wouldn't sell out to Ticketmaster and virtue-signal whine when they fleece his fans.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Good for Mr. Anthony.
Let's see if he can make it stick...