Author Topic: Doctors suggested girl with Down syndrome be institutionalized – fast-forward 15 years and she's a  (Read 356 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Doctors suggested girl with Down syndrome be institutionalized – fast-forward 15 years and she's a top model
Story by Leah Berenson •
16h

Kennedy Garcia was born May 16, 2004, with Down syndrome. Although medical professionals wanted to have her institutionalized, her mother declined, and Kennedy went on to achieve great things. Kenedy was diagnosed as a newborn and has overcome many obstacles, including more than 30 surgeries.

At three years old, she was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia, which affects blood and bone marrow. Sadly, children with Down syndrome are 150 times more likely to battle Acute Myelogenous Leukemia, than those born without traits of Down syndrome. Regardless, Kennedy beat the odds and went on to model for American Girl, Disney, and Claire’s. She also partnered with Kenzie Ziegler in a campaign for Justice.

When Doctors told Kennedy’s mom, Renee, that the young girl would have a low quality of life due to the struggles accompanying Down Syndrome, Renee was determined not to let the condition deter her daughter. "The night Kennedy arrived, I was heartbroken to learn she had the condition because I was being fed nothing, but a negative, bleak picture painted by doctors and nurses who really had no idea what my child‘s future really held,” she said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/doctors-suggested-girl-with-down-syndrome-be-institutionalized-fast-forward-15-years-and-she-s-a-top-model/ar-AA1gFZIw?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=52cacda165864614a2633638f8ee739a&ei=84
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Good for mom, for Kennedy, and so much for the naysayers! I hope this inspires others to excel.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis