Author Topic: NY judge who pulled gun in court claims he did so out of ‘fear’ of ‘large person’ rushing at him  (Read 713 times)

Online Kamaji

NY judge who pulled gun in court claims he did so out of ‘fear’ of ‘large person’ rushing at him

By Priscilla DeGregory
Published Sep. 12, 2023

An upstate New York judge who pulled a loaded handgun on a defendant only did so out of “fear” when the “large person” came at him in court, his attorney claimed Tuesday – while arguing the jurist shouldn’t lose his position over the disturbing incident.

Robert J. Putorti, a judge in Whitehall courts since 2014, was accused by a watchdog group last year of bragging about the 2015 incident several times and recounting how a “large black man” had charged toward him.

The Commission on Judicial Conduct, which brought the case, asked New York’s highest court to remove Putorti from office, saying the jurist had pointed the semi-automatic handgun at a defendant who posed no threat to him.

But Putorti’s lawyer, Nate Riley, told a panel of judges in New York’s Court of Appeals that his client was truly scared when he pulled the gun, whether it was justified fear or not.

“He has this large person that’s rushing toward the bench,” Riley said during the hearing Tuesday.

“He did have a subjective fear of the individual rushing toward the bench.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/12/ny-judge-who-pulled-gun-in-court-shouldnt-lose-job-lawyer/

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Why didn't the judge just have his bailiff whack his peepee?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Is it illegal for judges to have handguns in a NYC court?

Asking because I don't know.

BTW,since he obviously didn't shoot the guy,why is this such a big deal?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Is it illegal for judges to have handguns in a NYC court?

Asking because I don't know.

BTW,since he obviously didn't shoot the guy,why is this such a big deal?
Probably some of the very few who do have CCW permits up there.

Of course, us ordinary folks would not be able to legally carry a weapon into a courthouse, permit or not, and would get caught at the metal detector.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Looks like a small community judge, probable conservative, thus they want to take him out.

Town population was 4,023, like 97% white according to wiki.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....