Author Topic: FDA panel says common over-the-counter decongestant doesn’t work  (Read 1453 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
FDA panel says common over-the-counter decongestant doesn’t work
« on: September 12, 2023, 05:38:41 pm »
FDA panel says common over-the-counter decongestant doesn’t work
Story by Berkeley Lovelace Jr

A key ingredient in many over-the-counter cold and allergy medications called phenylephrine doesn’t work to get rid of nasal congestion, a Food and Drug Administration advisory panel concluded Tuesday.

The unanimous vote, which specifically declared oral formulations of phenylephrine ineffective, is expected to disrupt the market for OTC cold and allergy remedies, where consumers largely prefer pills over nasal sprays.

Phenylephrine — found in drugs including Sudafed PE, Vicks Sinex and Benadryl Allergy Plus Congestion — is the most popular oral decongestant in the United States, generating almost $1.8 billion in sales last year, according to data presented Monday by FDA officials.

The drug is thought to relieve congestion by reducing the swelling of blood vessels in the nasal passages.

more
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/fda-panel-says-common-over-the-counter-decongestant-doesn-t-work/ar-AA1gC0kL?ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&cvid=d803cb18d27047da9e06d52d481e7568&ei=9
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: FDA panel says common over-the-counter decongestant doesn’t work
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 07:07:31 pm »
If it reduces swelling, is it an anti-inflamatory?

Apparently a lot of people think it works, or it would not be a top selling decongestant ingredient.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 07:24:07 pm »
Apparently the behind-the-counter-so-you-supposedly-can't-make-meth version is still good, though.  My husband can't take it though, due to blood pressure issues. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 07:44:49 pm »
I can't comment wrt dosage, but phenylephrine works well for me on the rare occasion I use it. Nasal sprays, while effective have a nasty rebound effect as it wears off, to as bad or worse than before using it. One can easily get "hooked" if you do not realize what it does (BTDTGTTS).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 08:06:40 pm »
   Like all drugs they disapprove were once approved by this same organization.  Follow the $$$$.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 08:07:48 pm »
On the rare occasions I've taken a decongestant, it seemed to work for me.  :shrug:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 08:20:23 pm »
I like to keep a bottle for the good ole Winter colds... The benefits don't last long, but usually long enough to where I can get a hot shower or a steam wrap started. I really could benefit from one of those nasal scrapings surgeries, because I have a small passageway (probable too many pops in the nose as a kid in fights). 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 08:36:14 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online corbe

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2023, 09:17:13 pm »
   Sure @Sighlass

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2023, 06:49:23 am »
   Sure @Sighlass

Lol, does coke mess up one's sinuses? I live a very sheltered life, aside from a beer or two, and trying pot once in college. In a word, I'm pretty "boring", I guess. Hold it, I did smoke cigs for 20 years.

Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2023, 01:11:38 pm »
Sudafed, Benadryl and most decongestants don’t work: FDA advisory panel
By Marc Lallanilla   
Published Sep. 12, 2023, 3:48 p.m. ET
NY Post

An advisory panel of the Food and Drug Administration stated today that virtually all over-the-counter decongestants simply don’t work.

The FDA panel found that phenylephrine — the active ingredient in Sudafed, Benadryl, Robitussin, and other popular decongestants — is nearly useless at reducing nasal congestion.

The advisory panel’s ruling might soon lead to these oral products being pulled off store shelves nationwide. (Nasal sprays containing phenylephrine are unaffected by the ruling.)

“This drug and this oral dose should have been removed from the market a long time ago,” Jennifer Schwartzott, a patient advocate from New York, told NBC News.  ...
Well, that's a puzzler. Benedryl is diphenhydramine 25 mg. It's an antihistamine. Why are they calling it a phenylephine (PE)-based decongestant?

Oh, and phenylephine does work as a decongestant. Its effects are not just "placebo effect." Whenever Mr. M's mentally handicapped brother became congested, he would make annoying snorting sounds trying to clear his sinuses. Mr. M gave him a generic PE tablet, and it cleared him up fairly quickly. We then could take him to church without having him disrupt the service with his snorting. He certainly wasn't able to convince himself it worked - he didn't even know why he was getting that little red pill or what it was supposed to cure.

I guess I'm going to stock up on some PE and generic Benedryl before they unnecessarily ban them.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 01:46:48 pm »
Apparently the behind-the-counter-so-you-supposedly-can't-make-meth version is still good, though.  My husband can't take it though, due to blood pressure issues.

Real sudafed works wonders and makes you high too. Get the 12 hour release tablets. Good stuff.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 03:04:52 pm »
Well, that's a puzzler. Benedryl is diphenhydramine 25 mg. It's an antihistamine. Why are they calling it a phenylephine (PE)-based decongestant?

Oh, and phenylephine does work as a decongestant. Its effects are not just "placebo effect." Whenever Mr. M's mentally handicapped brother became congested, he would make annoying snorting sounds trying to clear his sinuses. Mr. M gave him a generic PE tablet, and it cleared him up fairly quickly. We then could take him to church without having him disrupt the service with his snorting. He certainly wasn't able to convince himself it worked - he didn't even know why he was getting that little red pill or what it was supposed to cure.

I guess I'm going to stock up on some PE and generic Benedryl before they unnecessarily ban them.  *****rollingeyes*****

Yes, Benadryl is something else entirely ... and a really, really good allergy relief medicine, so long as you're able to sleep it off.  Sometimes when I'm just miserable with allergies and the Claritin/Zyrtec/Allegra/Xyzal aren't cutting it, Benadryl is the only thing that helps.

Interesting that your brother-in-law had good results with the phenylephrine.  Maybe it works well for some and not for others.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2023, 03:15:06 pm »
Yes, Benadryl is something else entirely ... and a really, really good allergy relief medicine, so long as you're able to sleep it off.  Sometimes when I'm just miserable with allergies and the Claritin/Zyrtec/Allegra/Xyzal aren't cutting it, Benadryl is the only thing that helps.

Interesting that your brother-in-law had good results with the phenylephrine.  Maybe it works well for some and not for others.

I love benadryl but it makes you a depressed zombie the whole next day. Amazing how powerful it is.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2023, 04:40:33 pm »
I love benadryl but it makes you a depressed zombie the whole next day. Amazing how powerful it is.
Wow, it doesn't do that to me at all. Amazing how drugs can affect people so differently.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2023, 06:04:12 pm »
Wow, it doesn't do that to me at all. Amazing how drugs can affect people so differently.

No kidding.  I don't have any issues with Benadryl other than the sleepiness when I take it. But I have noticed that Allegra makes me very cranky.   :shrug:

Offline berdie

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2023, 07:48:53 pm »
I've sadly become so suspicious of these people. Maybe this OTC works for some and not for others. Who cares as long as there is no harm done? Sounds like there is a new OTC that will soon be pushed and somebody will make some bucks. :shrug:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2023, 07:51:52 pm »
We always used the children's elixr, and just a tiny dose of that. Worked well, better dosage control, and I believe in using the least effective dose to cut side effects. A quarter teaspoon produced results for me, and I'm 6' and about 240 lbs. YMMV.

I used 24 hr. dissolving Claririn when I had COVID  and it helped.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 07:53:20 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2023, 08:04:24 pm »
The most effective OTC nasal decongestant for me, without resorting to the behind the counter pseudoephedrine is Oxymetazoline. I go for the cheapest I can get that has the same concentration as something a lot more expensive. Store brand vs name brand.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2023, 09:33:18 pm »
Folks, the FDA panel said that this stuff taken orally was ineffective.

The report does not concern nasal "sprays", which are effective.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2023, 01:31:11 am »
I was referring to pills, not sprays. My experience is that they are, in fact, effective.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2023, 07:04:45 am »
Pseudoephedrine works.  Phenylephrine does not.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-