Author Topic: Vanguard Submarine Arrives Home Absolutely Caked In Algae  (Read 390 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Vanguard Submarine Arrives Home Absolutely Caked In Algae
« on: September 12, 2023, 11:29:22 am »

Vanguard Submarine Arrives Home Absolutely Caked In Algae
Story by Oliver Parken •
10h

Here at The War Zone, we’ve seen our fair share of naval vessels looking, how shall we say, worse for wear. Long deployments at sea, reduced crews sizes, and heavy operations tempos can lead to the formation of heavy rust and corrosion on surface combatants. Submarines, on the other hand, don't have the luxury of ease of access to most their structure to keep corrosion under control and the grime off even if they wanted to. Ballistic missile submarines whose job it is to go find a hole in the ocean to hide for long periods of time spend little time on the surface regardless.

Recent images of a Royal Navy Vanguard class nuclear-powered ballistic missile submarine (SSBN) taken by Sheila Weir — captured after the sub completed a six-month-long deterrent patrol — underscore the immense beating these leviathans of the deep can take while on mission for long stretches of time. The missile boat looks like a sea monster that has emerged from a long slumber at the bottom of ocean.

Vanguard class SSBN pictured inbound, Faslane, Scotland, September 11, 2023. Sheila Weir

The photos in question were taken as the Vanguard class submarine returned to HM Naval Base Clyde, which is also known as Faslane, on the west coast of Scotland, earlier today. Which specific submarine within the Vanguard class this was — there are four in total — and where it ventured to during its six months at sea remain unknown. Secrecy surrounding the movements of these SSBNs is standard practice for the Royal Navy. One British SSBN always remains on patrol from HM Naval Base Clyde at any given time to ensure the country’s second strike nuclear deterrence remains credible. Since 1998, the Royal Navy’s SSBNs have provided the U.K.’s sole nuclear weapons capability.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/vanguard-submarine-arrives-home-absolutely-caked-in-algae/ar-AA1gzKp9?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=f1d31159d8a8497f8ca8a3c074737224&ei=54
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Re: Vanguard Submarine Arrives Home Absolutely Caked In Algae
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 11:41:47 am »
Pic:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Vanguard Submarine Arrives Home Absolutely Caked In Algae
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2023, 07:16:59 pm »
Consider: the species of algae might provide a window into the travels of the sub. That might have to be kept hush-hush.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis