Author Topic: Elon Musk moving servers himself shows his ‘maniacal sense of urgency’ at X, formerly Twitter  (Read 698 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
CNBC by Walter Isaacson 9/11/2023

Elon Musk moving servers himself shows his ‘maniacal sense of urgency’ at X, formerly Twitter

*This is adapted from Walter Isaacson’s biography, “Elon Musk,” published this month.

“Does this timeframe seem like something that I would find remotely acceptable?” Musk asked. “Obviously not. If a timeline is long, it’s wrong.”

It was late at night on December 22, and the meeting in Musk’s 10th floor conference room at X, formerly Twitter, had become tense. He was talking to two X infrastructure managers who had not dealt with him much before, and certainly not when he was in a foul mood.

One of them tried to explain the problem. The data-services company that housed one of X’s server farms, located in Sacramento, had agreed to allow them some short-term extensions on their lease so they could begin to move out during 2023 in an orderly fashion. “But this morning,” the nervous manager told Musk, “they came back to us and said that plan was no longer on the table because, and these are their words, they don’t think that we will be financially viable.”

The facility was costing X more than $100 million a year. Musk wanted to save that money by moving the servers to one of X’s other facilities, in Portland, Oregon. Another manager at the meeting said that couldn’t be done right away. “We can’t get out safely before six to nine months,” she said in a matter-of-fact tone. “Sacramento still needs to be around to serve traffic.”

Over the years, Musk had been faced many times with a choice between what he thought was necessary and what others told him was possible. The result was almost always the same. He paused in silence for a few moments, then announced, “You have 90 days to do it. If you can’t make that work, your resignation is accepted.”

The manager began to explain in detail some of the obstacles to relocating the servers to Portland. “It has different rack densities, different power densities,” she said. “So the rooms need to be upgraded.” She started to give a lot more details, but after a minute, Musk interrupted.

“This is making my brain hurt,” he said.

“I’m sorry, that was not my intention,” she replied in a measured monotone.

“Do you know the head-explosion emoji?” he asked her. “That’s what my head feels like right now. What a pile of f---ing bulls---. Jesus H f---ing Christ. Portland obviously has tons of room. It’s trivial to move servers one place to another.”

The X managers again tried to explain the constraints. Musk interrupted. “Can you have someone go to our server centers and send me videos of the insides?” he asked.

It was three days before Christmas, and the manager promised the video in a week. “No, tomorrow,” Musk ordered. “I’ve built server centers myself, and I can tell if you could put more servers there or not. That’s why I asked if you had actually visited these facilities. If you’ve not been there, you’re just talking bulls---.”

More: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/11/elon-musk-moved-twitter-servers-himself-in-the-night-new-biography-details-his-maniacal-sense-of-urgency.html

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
In his defense, bumbling idiotic, incompetent employees used to drive me mad too, but thankfullly my threshold for anger was a lot higher than his.

I'll give him a pass, and from what I saw this morning of this author, I think Elon allowed an unnecessary hit piece upon his reputation, and honor.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In his defense, bumbling idiotic, incompetent employees used to drive me mad too, but thankfullly my threshold for anger was a lot higher than his.

I'll give him a pass, and from what I saw this morning of this author, I think Elon allowed an unnecessary hit piece upon his reputation, and honor.
I don't have a problem with him being upset, nor showing it. This is just one aspect of the folks he has to deal with.
He has X, Space-X,Tesla, the Feds, and the woke wannabe censorship world to deal with. Any one of those would give me a headache.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I don't have a problem with him being upset, nor showing it. This is just one aspect of the folks he has to deal with.
He has X, Space-X,Tesla, the Feds, and the woke wannabe censorship world to deal with. Any one of those would give me a headache.

I'm so conflicted about the guy it isn't funny. Certainly aspects of his I admire but IMO he made some mistakes with "X". Not that Twitter was anything great before he came but IMO it's kinda useless now. Before it was at least useable when a breaking story happened. Maybe I need to actually register for an account (I was banned at one point in the "ancien regime").

Offline Kamaji

:thumbsup: