Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of Adobe Flash  (Read 525 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The Rise and Fall of Adobe Flash
« on: September 11, 2023, 09:56:46 pm »
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-rise-and-fall-of-adobe-flash

by Richard Moss
July 7, 2020

Few technologies have yielded such divisive and widespread passion as Flash. Many gush over its versatility and ease of use as a creative platform or its critical role in the rise of web video. Others abhor Flash-based advertising and Web design, or they despise the resource-intensiveness of the Flash Player plugin in its later years.

Whichever side of the love-hate divide you land on, there’s no denying the fact that Flash changed how we consume, create, and interact with content on the Web. For better and worse, it helped shape the Internet of today.

But now, after a roughly 25-year run, Flash is dead. In December 2020, Adobe officially ended support and distribution of Flash Player, the browser plugin we all associate most strongly with the technology. And already, months ahead of the end-of-life switch, Flash was disabled in most Web browsers (often flagged as a security risk should you choose to override the default settings). Even Google Chrome, long the browser of choice for Flash content, removed Flash Player.

Technically speaking, the technology will live on. The Flash authoring tool is part of Adobe Animate, while the rendering engine is included in Adobe AIR—which will be handed over to enterprise electronics company Harman International for ongoing maintenance, as it’s still widely used in the enterprise arena. But it’s safe to say that, after a decade in decline, Flash as we know it is gone.

In recognition of its service to content creators and consumers of all stripes, of its contribution to the proliferation of online video and multimedia, and of that divisiveness that’s followed the platform around, the time has come to revisit the rise and fall of Flash—with a little help from its principal creator, Jonathan Gay; a raft of Web resources; and interviews with others who had a hand in its ultimate success.

(continued at link)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: The Rise and Fall of Adobe Flash
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 10:44:53 pm »
Flash became a gaping browser security hole.  RIP
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 10:54:55 pm »
Man! I haven't even thought of Flash for a decade, not to mention loading flashplayer into any machines.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 11:01:29 pm »
Man! I haven't even thought of Flash for a decade, not to mention loading flashplayer into any machines.

Sure I kept a copy next to my 5 1/4' Lotus 1-2-3 Floppies.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online corbe

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 11:10:34 pm »
   Interesting pull @jmyrlefuller   

When I go to MSN Weather and pull up their maps, I know it's some form of FLASH cause my Xeon CPU Fan turns on.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.