Author Topic: Nike permanently closes flagship store in Portland  (Read 744 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Nike permanently closes flagship store in Portland
« on: September 11, 2023, 09:52:51 pm »

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2023/09/11/nike-permanently-closes-flagship-store-in-portland-n577027

Nike is based in Beaverton, Oregon, which is a substantial inner-ring suburb of Portland. It is the fourth-largest employer in the area and only one out of two large employers that is not a health care system.

So it was a big deal when the corporation temporarily closed its flagship store due to safety concerns. It was a huge symbolic hit to the reputation of the city and an economic hit to the neighborhood in which it was based.

After months of negotiations with the Mayor of Portland Ted Wheeler that failed to result in any promises to improve public safety, Nike has announced that the temporary closure has become permanent.
Nike has, in effect, given up on the idea that Portland is going to recover any time soon. It has become a crime and drug-infested zone filled with homeless people in tents whose big goal for any given day is not overdosing on fentanyl.

I wonder what Wheeler's position was in the negotiations. Did he claim the problems were exaggerated? Did he admit the problems are so far out of hand that he couldn't do much? As the article points out, Nike stores are all over. Losing one is not a big deal. But to Portland, it's a significant closing.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline mountaineer

Re: Nike permanently closes flagship store in Portland
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 09:55:05 pm »
I understand this was the store on MLK Jr. Blvd., but others in whiter neighborhoods remain.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 10:43:48 pm »
 ////00000////

New Standing Headline:  Precipitous Drop in Portland, OR, Commercial and Retail Tax Receipts; Bankruptcy Possible, Officials Request Federal Bailout from Biden Admin
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 10:50:13 pm »
I understand this was the store on MLK Jr. Blvd., but others in whiter neighborhoods remain.  :pondering:

Which brings to mind a sad, but true joke: "How do you find the worst neighborhood in any city"?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2023, 12:21:10 am »
Which brings to mind a sad, but true joke: "How do you find the worst neighborhood in any city"?
Yep.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2023, 12:32:19 am »

As the robot said in Lost in Space...  Danger Danger
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2023, 11:57:23 am »

https://hotair.com/david-strom/2023/09/11/nike-permanently-closes-flagship-store-in-portland-n577027

I wonder what Wheeler's position was in the negotiations. Did he claim the problems were exaggerated? Did he admit the problems are so far out of hand that he couldn't do much? As the article points out, Nike stores are all over. Losing one is not a big deal. But to Portland, it's a significant closing.

:mauslaff:

Karma is a real b*tch.