Author Topic: Lithium deposit found in US McDermitt Caldera may be world’s largest  (Read 1005 times)

Online Kamaji

Lithium deposit found in US McDermitt Caldera may be world’s largest

By Ronny Reyes
Published Sep. 11, 2023

A lithium deposit discovered in a volcanic crater along the Nevada-Oregon border may hold up to 40 million metric tons of the rare metal — possibly the largest ever in the world, which could have a massive impact on the electric vehicle industry, according to a new study.

The deposit hidden within the McDermitt Caldera is estimated to hold between 20 million and 40 million metric tons, which would be nearly double the current record of about 23 million metric tons found over the summer beneath a Bolivian salt flat, researchers reported in Science Advances.

It would also greatly boost America’s overall lithium reserves, which were previously estimated at a paltry 1 million metric tons.

Belgian geologist Anouk Borst said that if the estimate proves true, the sudden overabundance of American lithium — the metal sought after by electric vehicle makers — could have global impacts.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/11/lithium-deposit-found-in-us-mcdermitt-caldera/

Online Kamaji

Re: Lithium deposit found in US McDermitt Caldera may be world’s largest
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 05:46:01 pm »
The Bidet administration will be around in a few minutes to make sure mining never takes place here.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 05:53:38 pm »
The Bidet administration will be around in a few minutes to make sure mining never takes place here.

Exactly. The newly minted McDermitt Caldera National Monument
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 05:55:59 pm »
What's the estimated value of it?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 05:58:03 pm »
Between this and Green River formation (est. at a couple TRILLION barrels of potentially recoverable oil), the US is positively drowning in resources.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 07:49:01 pm »

Just like his Chinese masters want.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 08:09:31 pm »
Won't be developed.  Can't mine or drill in American anymore.

Global Climate Change Limousine Liberal NIMBY's prefer that to be done in $h!th0le countries that hate America.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline PeteS in CA

Lithium discovery in US volcano could be biggest deposit ever found
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 10:40:12 pm »
Lithium discovery in US volcano could be biggest deposit ever found

https://www.chemistryworld.com/news/lithium-discovery-in-us-volcano-could-be-biggest-deposit-ever-found/4018032.article

A world-beating deposit of lithium along the Nevada–Oregon border could meet surging demand for this metal, according to a new analysis.

An estimated 20 to 40 million tonnes of lithium metal lie within a volcanic crater formed around 16 million years ago. This is notably larger than the lithium deposits found beneath a Bolivian salt flat, previously considered the largest deposit in the world.

‘If you believe their back-of-the-envelope estimation, this is a very, very significant deposit of lithium,’ says Anouk Borst, a geologist at KU Leuven University and the Royal Museum for Central Africa in Tervuren, Belgium. ‘It could change the dynamics of lithium globally, in terms of price, security of supply and geopolitics.’

Major discoveries of lithium deposits - this one in the western US and the other(s) in central South America could make it less easy for China to armtwist the world over lithium supplies.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Lithium discovery in US volcano could be biggest deposit ever found
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 03:30:53 am »
Am I the only one that thinks it just MIGHT be a little bit dangerous to try to set up a mine inside a volcano?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 04:37:06 am »
Biden will find a way to ban the mining of the rare element.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Mod5

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2023, 04:53:20 am »
Merged

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2023, 05:23:16 am »
Am I the only one that thinks it just MIGHT be a little bit dangerous to try to set up a mine inside a volcano?
No volcanic activity for 16 million years...pretty safe!  Has already been mined (uranium, mercury, etc.) for years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDermitt_Caldera

Online roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2023, 05:59:32 am »
Well that might be handy...

Online Kamaji

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2023, 11:48:33 am »
Well that might be handy...

It might, if the federal government doesn't prohibit mining (as it most likely will under the current administration).

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2023, 07:44:26 pm »
No volcanic activity for 16 million years...pretty safe!  Has already been mined (uranium, mercury, etc.) for years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDermitt_Caldera

@Drago

Thanks!

I missed that part.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2023, 09:00:31 pm »
It might, if the federal government doesn't prohibit mining (as it most likely will under the current administration).

That's likely right... Until they start running out of batteries for their shiny new electric cars.  :whistle:

Online Kamaji

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2023, 09:19:28 pm »
That's likely right... Until they start running out of batteries for their shiny new electric cars.  :whistle:

Nah; if/when that happens, they'll gladly bargain away another one of your and my birthrights as American citizens for Chinese lithium.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2023, 09:25:16 pm »
Nah; if/when that happens, they'll gladly bargain away another one of your and my birthrights as American citizens for Chinese lithium.

That's likely right too...  :shrug: