Author Topic: Lost hiker rescued after online bear cam captures him mouthing ‘help me’  (Read 421 times)

Online Kamaji

Lost hiker rescued after online bear cam captures him mouthing ‘help me’

By Snejana Farberov
Published Sep. 11, 2023

A hiker who was lost in a remote Alaska national park was rescued last week after wildlife fans tuning into a live feed from a bear camera captured the distressed man on the screen mouthing the words “help me.”

The video shared by Explore.org, a multimedia company that operates web cameras for the National Park Service and other entities worldwide, shows the haggard-looking trekker trudging through a thick fog on Dumpling Mountain in Katmai National Park last Tuesday.

As he passes by a camera installed to capture the park’s world-famous brown bears, the unshaven, sopping-wet traveler looks directly into the lens and mouths the words “help me” and “lost.”

A handful of viewers watching the feed at that time left comments in an Explore.org chat room alerting the company that there was someone in distress on the rain-swept trail.

The Park Service was then swiftly notified of the emergency situation.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/11/online-bear-watching-camera-helps-rescue-lost-alaska-hiker/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I remember reading the lost German lady who survived in the Amazon, said always follow a body of water, because humans inevitably settle along water. But a lot of hikers go missing in national parks, they just vanish and are never seen again.

Online roamer_1

I remember reading the lost German lady who survived in the Amazon, said always follow a body of water, because humans inevitably settle along water. But a lot of hikers go missing in national parks, they just vanish and are never seen again.

That's literally true, but for a different reason. Up in here, walking beads and azimuths don't do a dang bit of good - Soon enough there will be a mountain in the way. Navigation is by guardrail and backstop... and coming down is always about following a ravine down into a canyon, into a river basin... Invariably, that is following the water out... Simply because the water is quite likely in the bottom of said features.

As to hikers disappearing (without my Paulides 411 hat on), you really, really can't understand how very big this land is. You could lose an army back up in there, and the land wouldn't even burp.