Author Topic: What This COVID-19 Treatment Did to a Baby's Eyes Is Concerning  (Read 541 times)

Online Kamaji

What This COVID-19 Treatment Did to a Baby's Eyes Is Concerning
« on: September 11, 2023, 12:27:01 pm »
What This COVID-19 Treatment Did to a Baby's Eyes Is Concerning

Mia Cathell
September 11, 2023

A baby boy's eyes changed colors after the coronavirus-infected child underwent a common COVID-19 treatment, according to a case study reported by Frontiers in Pediatrics, a medical journal that publishes research in pediatric care and children's health.

Published under the research topic "Childhood Vaccination and COVID-19," the April 19 case report, titled "Favipiravir-induced bluish corneal discoloration in infant with COVID-19," details the COVID-19 therapy's jaw-dropping effects on a six-month-old.

Before-and-after photographs of the coronavirus-positive child's eyes | Frontiers in Pediatrics

The study, conducted by clinicians at Chulabhorn Hospital in Bangkok, says that the Thai infant's dark-brown eyes temporarily turned "bright blue" overnight upon being prescribed and subsequently ingesting favipiravir, an oral anti-viral treatment recommended by Thailand's Ministry of Public Health's official guidance that was issued in 2022 for children with mild-to-moderate coronavirus symptoms. Marketed under the brand name Avigan, favipiravir is a Japanese anti-influenza drug produced by Toyama Chemical, a pharmaceutical subsidiary of the Tokyo-headquartered conglomerate Fujifilm. Singing praise, the Chinese government hailed favipiravir as "effective" with "no clear side effects," generating global excitement around the drug.

Source:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/miacathell/2023/09/11/baby-eyes-change-covid-19-treatment-n2628032

Offline Polly Ticks

Re: What This COVID-19 Treatment Did to a Baby's Eyes Is Concerning
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 01:13:46 pm »
This quote from the article is a huge part of the issue I have with the COVID vaccines and treatments.

Medical professionals have yet to identify favipiravir's long-term consequences and experts are still not certain why the med causes discoloration ...

I just not interested in being anyone's test subject.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 04:23:48 pm »
Clarification: this medication is not approved for use in the United States. The U.S government developed it as a flu treatment but the FDA never approved it here. But it's used widely in Asia.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 05:35:31 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favipiravir#Legal_status

Legal status

The US Department of Defense developed favipiravir in partnership with MediVector, Inc. as a broad-spectrum antiviral and sponsored it through FDA Phase II and Phase III clinical trials, where it demonstrated safety in humans and efficacy against the influenza virus. favipiravir remains unapproved in the UK and the USA. In 2014, Japan approved favipiravir for treating influenza strains unresponsive to current antivirals. Toyama Chemical initially hoped that favipiravir would become a new influenza medication that could replace oseltamivir (brand name Tamiflu). However, animal experiments show the potential for teratogenic effects, and the approval of production by The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare was greatly delayed and the production condition is limited only in an emergency in Japan.

Despite limited data on efficacy, as of March 2021 favipiravir is widely prescribed for outpatient treatment of mild to moderate COVID-19 in Egypt, Hungary and Serbia. Patients are required to sign a consent form before obtaining the drug.

*****rollingeyes***** Favipiravir was not developed as a Covid treatment. Covid was not around in 2014.

*****rollingeyes***** Favipiravir is not a "Childhood Vaccination" or any other kind of vaccination. It is an antiviral drug.

*****rollingeyes***** Favipiravir is not approved for use in the US, for influenza or Covid.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 05:37:30 pm by PeteS in CA »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 05:38:10 pm »

*****rollingeyes***** Favipiravir was not developed as a Covid treatment. Covid was not around in 2014.

*****rollingeyes***** Favipiravir is not a "Childhood Vaccination" or any other kind of vaccination. It is an antiviral drug.

*****rollingeyes***** Favipiravir is not approved for use in the US, for influenza or Covid.

Coronavirii were around in 2014; the particular strain that has been identified as COVID-19 most likely wasn't around, but corona viruses were.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 05:41:07 pm »

Blah blah blah ....  yes, I know your stance and your fondness for rolling eyes emojis. I also know favipiravir isn't approved in the U.S. 

My statement was related to the fact that we have no long term studies on covid vaccines and certain treatments because they've not existed long enough to be able to have long term studies.  And again, I'm not interested in being a test subject.  Your opinion may differ, and more power to you. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 05:53:43 pm »
Coronavirii were around in 2014; the particular strain that has been identified as COVID-19 most likely wasn't around, but corona viruses were.

Your point is? Favipiravir was developed with influenza as its target, not any corona virus. It was not developed as any kind of corona virus treatment and is not approved in the US at all, let alone as a Covid treatment. The OP article is at least misleading, if not full-on wolf-crying alarmist.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Online Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 05:55:12 pm »
Your point is? Favipiravir was developed with influenza as its target, not any corona virus. It was not developed as any kind of corona virus treatment and is not approved in the US at all, let alone as a Covid treatment. The OP article is at least misleading, if not full-on wolf-crying alarmist.

My point was simply to correct an apparent error of fact in your prior statement.  Nothing more.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 06:22:19 pm »
Blah blah blah ....  yes, I know your stance and your fondness for rolling eyes emojis. I also know favipiravir isn't approved in the U.S. 

Try ad hominem attacks on people who give a @#$%. Shooting the messenger does not alter the truth of the message.

The fact that I am the one who keeps pointing out that despite well over 200 million Americans having been fully vaccinated against Covid, the piles of dead bodies that should result were The Vaccine deadly does not change the fact that the piles of bodies and consequent disruptions to life and the economy are totally absent. The claimed cause has had no real-life effects.

Also, Part 1, before any Covid vaccine was authorized for use in the US, each one had been tested in studies involving 30,000-60,000 volunteers. The law that provided for Emergency Use Authorization was passed in 2005, IIRC, over a decade before Covid. Further, while the several Covid vacines were authorized after Phase 3 testing (the 30K-60K recipients), Phase 4, monitoring of recipients in general is part of the FDA's protocol. So there are ongoing safety studies of the Covid vaccines.

Also, Part 2, the bogey-treatment remdesivir (trade name Veklury) was developed in 2009 and tested Hepatitis C and RSV (and a couple others over the ensuing decade), a decade before the SARS-CoV-2 virus came along. Thus, while remdesivir was not effective against those viruses, there was a decade of available safety test data on remdesivir when 2020 testing showed that it was effective against the SARS-CoV-2 virus. In other words, just because you did not know the safety testing was done does not mean it did not happen.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2023, 06:51:21 pm »
Try ad hominem attacks on people who give a @#$%. Shooting the messenger does not alter the truth of the message.

The fact that I am the one who keeps pointing out that despite well over 200 million Americans having been fully vaccinated against Covid, the piles of dead bodies that should result were The Vaccine deadly does not change the fact that the piles of bodies and consequent disruptions to life and the economy are totally absent. The claimed cause has had no real-life effects.

Also, Part 1, before any Covid vaccine was authorized for use in the US, each one had been tested in studies involving 30,000-60,000 volunteers. The law that provided for Emergency Use Authorization was passed in 2005, IIRC, over a decade before Covid. Further, while the several Covid vacines were authorized after Phase 3 testing (the 30K-60K recipients), Phase 4, monitoring of recipients in general is part of the FDA's protocol. So there are ongoing safety studies of the Covid vaccines.

Also, Part 2, the bogey-treatment remdesivir (trade name Veklury) was developed in 2009 and tested Hepatitis C and RSV (and a couple others over the ensuing decade), a decade before the SARS-CoV-2 virus came along. Thus, while remdesivir was not effective against those viruses, there was a decade of available safety test data on remdesivir when 2020 testing showed that it was effective against the SARS-CoV-2 virus. In other words, just because you did not know the safety testing was done does not mean it did not happen.

Ad hominem?  Because I said I know your stance, or because I said you like rolling eyes emojis?  Either way, I will not stipulate to calling it ad hominem and don't appreciate the implication.  I don't believe in personal attacks, even towards those I don't like ... and you're not one of those. I'm sorry to hear I'm apparently one of those for you.

I've never said anything about piles of dead bodies. I didn't even say covid vaccines weren't tested.  I said that there are no long term studies because they have not existed long enough to HAVE long term studies.  A fact which is indisputably true, and referencing that ongoing studies are part of the FDA's protocol doesn't change that. The studies are not complete.  I don't want to be a test subject. I don't object to anyone else who does want to be a test subject ... so long as it's presented as a choice and not as a mandate if you want to keep your job, for example.

The EUA law being passed in 2005 is a non-sequitur and completely irrelevant to my statement.

Remdesivir has a bit longer testing profile, yes, but even that was accelerated.  From Wiki, "Remdesivir was rapidly pushed through clinical trials due to the West African Ebola virus epidemic of 2013–2016, eventually being used in people with the disease."   

Again, I have no problem with your choices, Pete.  I'm sorry you have a problem with mine.  And for the record, my opinions and willingness to accept risk didn't start with covid vaccines.  I didn't take or allow my kids to be given Garadsil, either, and I can't say I regret that one bit.