Author Topic: Appeals Court: Doctors Can Sue FDA for Condemning Ivermectin as a COVID-19 Treatment, Resulting Repu  (Read 580 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Legal Insurrection by  Terrance Kible Sunday, September 10, 2023

Appeals Court: Doctors Can Sue FDA for Condemning Ivermectin as a COVID-19 Treatment, Resulting Reputational Harm

‘Even tweet-sized doses of personalized medical advice are beyond FDA’s statutory authority,’ the appeals court held.

A federal appeals court allowed three doctors to sue the FDA over a series of website and social media posts condemning ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19. The doctors alleged the FDA exceeded its authority by offering medical advice and “that FDA’s messaging interfered with their own individual medical practice.”

The lawsuit stems from a series of FDA posts advising consumers not to take horse ivermectin but failing to acknowledge the existence of a human ivermectin formulation, including one tweet advising consumers, “Hold your horses, y’all”:

The trial court dismissed the doctors’ lawsuit after finding sovereign immunity barred their three claims. The appeals court reversed on one claim, finding plausible the argument the FDA exceeded its statutory authority by offering medical advice instead of medical information:

FDA is not a physician. It has authority to inform, announce, and apprise—but not to endorse, denounce, or advise. The Doctors have plausibly alleged that FDA’s Posts fell on the wrong side of the line between telling about and telling to. . . . Even tweet-sized doses of personalized medical advice are beyond FDA’s statutory authority. (emphasis original)

More: https://legalinsurrection.com/2023/09/appeals-court-doctors-can-sue-fda-for-condemning-ivermectin-as-a-covid-19-treatment-resulting-reputational-harm/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Can patients sue the FDA over being forced to resort to veterinary drugs when human pharmaceuticals were available?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Idiot

Can patients sue the FDA over being forced to resort to veterinary drugs when human pharmaceuticals were available?
:yowsa:

Offline roamer_1

My sainted mother was forced to suck horse paste. There is no amount of money...

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I was lucky that I had a 500ml bottle of injectable 1% Ivermectin I use orally on my dogs.