Author Topic: Phoenix sets another heat record by hitting 110 degrees on 54 days this year  (Read 2555 times)

Online Kamaji

Phoenix sets another heat record by hitting 110 degrees on 54 days this year

By Associated Press
Published Sep. 10, 2023

How hot is it in Phoenix?

In what has been the hottest summer ever measured, the sizzling city in the Sonoran Desert broke yet another record Saturday when temperatures topped 110 degrees.

It was the 54th day this year that the official reading at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport made the mark, eclipsing the previous record of 53 days set in 2020.

Matt Salerno, a National Weather Service meteorologist, said the hot streak could reach 55 days.

“We do have one more day,” he said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/10/phoenix-has-set-another-heat-record-by-hitting-110-degrees-on-54-days-this-year/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It has been warm, here, with plenty of days in the 90s and even broke 100 (in North Dakota).

But... I have never had a tomato crop like this before, and we've had lots of rain.

If I was going to gripe about something, it'd be the weeks of red-sun-at-noon smoke you can smell from burning off Canada and parts of Montana. I quit smoking for that?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

I don't know... It's been hot... It's always hot here in the summer... Hasn't seemed much different compared to previous years...

Monsoon season was quieter than usual but it is highly variable.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 02:51:39 pm by DB »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe congratulations for quitting smoking!  My dad said it was the hardest thing he ever did.

Maybe you need to change your nickname to Non-Smokin Joe?  happy77
Actually, it wasn't hard for me, really. I had some sort of lung crud, and to top that off, someone backed a diesel pickup right up next to my living quarters on the rig while I was asleep, on a calm (as in no wind) winter night in ND, and left it idling. When I woke up, there was a cloud inside the shack that came down to within a couple feet of floor level, and I was having a harder time breathing.  I got up, aired out the shack, hacked up a bunch of crud and caught my breath outside, went back in and looked at the pack of smokes on the counter and thought "I don't even want one of those". Never felt inclined to smoke again.
I left the open pack in the drawer and took the carton and a half back to town next trip in, and gave them to my wife, who never did quit as long as she lived. Those cigarettes sat in the drawer for over a year, before a Sperry hand came over desperate for a smoke. He said he was trying to quit, but just had to have one. I told him I had some, but they were a mite stale. He lit it and the first drag burned it about half way down. He decided maybe quitting was a good idea. :laugh:

But then, I get my nicotine from smokeless tobacco now, and that's another story...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 03:05:13 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
I don't know... It's been hot... It's always hot here in the summer... Hasn't seemed much different compared to previous years...

You might recall that May and some of June were pretty cool.  As it stands (based on what I've read), this year will rank around 50 in terms of the number of 100 degree days we've had. 

Current forecast has a few 101 days.  Mostly in the 90's.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying

I don't think that, except for one day, we hit any single day highs. 

BTW: The record for 110 days was set 50 years ago, but we've been "global warming" since then.

?????

Online DB

Had what was likely a tornado go through here a couple of nights ago... Did substantial damage to Falcon Field airport.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I dunno how you guys stand this kind of heat. Suddenly NE doesn't seem too bad.

Online Kamaji

Different levels of humidity, perhaps?

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying

It's not that hot for 24 hours. 

You manage....just like everyone else.

And when it gets to be November.....you remember why you live here.

Offline Loree G

I live in Mohave County.  We had a milder summer than in the past, but we still topped 115 for most of the summer, with several streaks of 120 + that lasted for up to a week.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It's not that hot for 24 hours. 

You manage....just like everyone else.

And when it gets to be November.....you remember why you live here.

Like giving birth.  After delivery the Wife says never again.  9 months later it's "Lets have another baby"?

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.