Author Topic: Does Marriage Equal Happiness?  (Read 438 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Does Marriage Equal Happiness?
« on: September 10, 2023, 02:12:31 pm »
September 10, 2023
Does Marriage Equal Happiness?
By Trevor Thomas

New research on marriage has drawn significant attention, leading to several widely read articles on the matter. Early last month, at UnHerd, in a piece entitled “The best predictor of happiness in America? Marriage” authors W. Bradford Wilcox and David Bass write:

Americans who are married with children are now leading happier and more prosperous lives, on average, than men and women who are single and childless.

Is that statement surprising? In an age that prizes individualism, workism, and a host of other self-centric ‘isms’ above marriage and family, it may well be. But the reality is that nothing currently predicts happiness in life better than a good marriage.

The UnHerd authors base their conclusions on a study published in July out of the University of Chicago. Looking at “The Socio Political Demography of Happiness,” the research concluded, “Being married is the most important differentiator with a 30-percentage point happy-unhappy gap over the unmarried.”

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2023/09/does_marriage_equal_happiness.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Does Marriage Equal Happiness?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2023, 11:50:30 pm »
Depends on who you marry, but if you choose wisely, absolutely yes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 11:57:08 pm »
Depends on who you marry, but if you choose wisely, absolutely yes.

Some People choose poorly....multiple times. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2023, 12:01:15 am »
The Republic is lost.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2023, 12:01:54 am »
Written by Paul Overstreet, this song is profoundly wise. I believe that those who have tapped into that wisdom and put it into practice are the ones whose marriages are strong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gJ5UCPvBos

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2023, 01:08:37 am »
My wife is my better half, and she reminds me of it when needed. Love ya Babe for putting up with me all these years.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2023, 03:59:31 am »
Some People choose poorly....multiple times.
Yep. Marry, divorce, seek same type on the rebound, lather, rinse, repeat.

They don't take time after a failure to sort out how they contributed, if they contributed, and to figure out what went wrong. If they can't own at least making a poor choice, and figuring out what was wrong about it enough to avoid doing so again, or what they may have done to make things not work, the next time is unlikely to be a success, too.

I'll just say this, if you can't be best friends and not just lovers, your chances diminish markedly.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online berdie

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 02:36:12 pm »
Yep. Marry, divorce, seek same type on the rebound, lather, rinse, repeat.

They don't take time after a failure to sort out how they contributed, if they contributed, and to figure out what went wrong. If they can't own at least making a poor choice, and figuring out what was wrong about it enough to avoid doing so again, or what they may have done to make things not work, the next time is unlikely to be a success, too.

I'll just say this, if you can't be best friends and not just lovers, your chances diminish markedly.

Your final sentence says it all.