Author Topic: NASA spent billions on its SLS mega-rocket to take humans to the moon. It finally admitted it is 'un  (Read 678 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Business Insider by  Marianne Guenot Sep 8, 2023

NASA spent billions on its SLS mega-rocket to take humans to the moon. It finally admitted it is 'unaffordable.'

•   NASA officials have said their SLS mega-rocket program is "unaffordable."

•   The program has long been criticized for a lack of transparency over its growing budget.

•   Officials agree the SLS budget "needs to be improved," but it's not clear how, per a government report.

Senior NASA officials have admitted their Space Launch System (SLS), which aims to help humans build a base on the moon, is "unaffordable," according to a US government watchdog.

When built, SLS will be the most powerful rocket ever created by the space agency. But costs are spiraling out of control.

NASA aims for its Orion spacecraft and its associated booster, collectively referred to as SLS, to play a crucial role in its Artemis missions to bring humans back to the lunar surface for the first time in over 50 years.

The agency had a big win last year when SLS flew around the moon on its maiden voyage. But the program has long come under fire for its ever-expanding budget and its lagging deadlines.

"Senior agency officials have told us that at current cost levels the SLS program is unsustainable and exceeds what NASA officials believe will be available for its Artemis missions," the Government Accountability Office (GAO) said in a report published Thursday.

More: https://www.businessinsider.com/nasa-sls-mega-rocket-unaffordable-costs-hit-20-billion-2023-9

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I hate inaccurate headlines, it should read 'NASA WASTED BILLIONS OF TAXPAYER DOLLARS ON OUT MODED TECNOLOGLY TO STROKE ITS EGO".

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I hate inaccurate headlines, it should read 'NASA WASTED BILLIONS OF TAXPAYER DOLLARS ON OUT MODED TECNOLOGLY TO STROKE ITS EGO".
Well, the contractors got stroked, too...

We have reached the end of the era when Government Agencies were the way to accomplish Space Travel.  (Is this why the FAA is delaying Space X's launch permit?)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

We have reached the end of the era when Government Agencies were the way to accomplish Space Travel.  (Is this why the FAA is delaying Space X's launch permit?)

:thumbsup:

Offline Idiot

We have reached the end of the era when Government Agencies were the way to accomplish Space Travel. (Is this why the FAA is delaying Space X's launch permit?)
Very likely...