Author Topic: Progressives ending grading in schools are condescending racists  (Read 279 times)

Online Kamaji

Progressives ending grading in schools are condescending racists
« on: September 08, 2023, 02:27:21 pm »
Progressives ending grading in schools are condescending racists

By Adam B. Coleman
Published Sep. 7, 2023

I went on a guided tour Thursday of Rome’s historic Colosseum and saw the significance of the barbarism there thousands of years ago.

Rome presented its public executions as equitable since the person losing a life was armed equally to the professional combatant tasked with spilling the prisoner’s blood.

Even the Romans understood the benefit of faking fairness to persuade the public to accept the overwhelming gaps in skillset and preparedness in those defending themselves in such a cruel environment.

Today’s progressives are much like the Romans of the past.

In liberal school districts across America, they’re doing everything possible to get the public to accept mediocrity as fair and equitable and arming our children with educational paper swords, misleading them into believing they can battle the world without the solid weapon of knowledge.

Take Portland Public Schools.

The district is considering adopting new “equitable grading practices” that it’s already using in some schools.

It sent a handout pointing to data showing historical racial disparities in students’ pass/fail rate.

The handout instructs teachers to avoid giving zeros — or any grade lower than 50% — on assignments not meeting expectations, incomplete or handed in late or not at all.

Homework can’t be graded.

Teachers can’t even penalize the scores of students who’ve cheated.

How do officials justify these wild alterations from the typical grading structure?

“What it’s doing is, it’s assessing mastery and accuracy,” PPS’ Chief Academic Officer Kimberlee Armstrong stated.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/07/progressives-ending-grading-in-schools-are-condescending-racists/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Progressives ending grading in schools are condescending racists
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 02:43:44 pm »
I lived through the dual devastation that forced busing and social promotions inflicted upon public school students in the late 1960s - late 1980s.

Sending functionally illiterate adults out into the world is a sin.

Standardized testing is not to test the students; it's to test that the teachers are doing their jobs.

It was the prevelance of fucntionally illiterate high school graduates that made businesses and colleges lobby in favor of standardized testing in Mass - the MCAS exam.  Businesses and colleges didn't want the costs of having to teach remedial reading, writing, and math to high school graduates.  Businesses and colleges needed high school graduates who could hit the ground running.

The MCAS (standardized testing) has had the desired result of producing more literate graduates by forcing school districts to prove that their students meet a set of minimum standards.  Now, the teachers unions want to do away with the MCAS requirement for graduation.  Doing so, hurts students and only enables incompetent, lazy teachers and administrators to suckle upon the teat of taxpayers.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.