Author Topic: Migrant parents say they can’t afford hefty list of NYC school supplies  (Read 553 times)

Online Kamaji

Migrant parents say they can’t afford hefty list of NYC school supplies, send kids to class with limited items

By Georgett Roberts, Craig McCarthy and Emily Crane
Published Sep. 7, 2023

Some migrant kids were forced to show up to their Big Apple classrooms with limited supplies for the first day of school — because they couldn’t afford to pay for the hefty list of items, asylum-seeker parents told The Post Thursday.

Several parents at P.S. 143 Louis Armstrong in Queens said they only had enough cash to buy a “notebook and pencils” for their children, despite being given a list of roughly 14 items ahead of the new school year.

“They are very expensive, everything the school asks us to buy,” said a Mexican migrant mom, whose 6-year-old daughter started at the school. “It is true, I don’t have enough money to buy everything. I only buy what’s necessary – notebooks and pencils.”

“I don’t know if it will affect her learning if I don’t bring what they ask for. I’m worried about that,” she added. “I hope that the school provides some of the things they are asking for.”

A mom from Ecuador, Maria, said she, too, could only fork up enough money for pencils and a notebook for her 10-year-old son to start 5th grade.

Asked how many items she purchased from the supply list, the mother said: “A few.”

“I didn’t have enough money,” she said. “Only the notebook and pencils.”

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/07/migrant-parents-say-they-cant-afford-long-list-of-nyc-school-supplies/

Online Kamaji

Re: Migrant parents say they can’t afford hefty list of NYC school supplies
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 08:38:39 pm »
Oh boo-f**king-hoo.  Go back home, parasites, and take your whelps with you.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 08:53:18 pm »
What...you mean they had to buy their own school supplies.... 888mouth
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 09:06:33 pm »

School supplies are racist.  Give them all a box of crayons full of the brown ones and put one white smack dab in the middle of the box. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 09:11:19 pm »

Seriously doubtful.  I remember when my kids were in elementary school and we got a list of supplies -- we bought everything needed. I also volunteered at school and when it came time to do an art project, my child had just left over pieces of crayons.  I asked what happened to them and I find out that the teachers divided up supplies from kids who had all supplies on the list to those kids who didn't have supplies.  Talk about being infuriated. That procedure continued on as the same thing happened to my grandkids - parents would go out and buy supplies and their supplies were divided and handed out to those 'less fortunate'. 

Rest assured the ILLEGAL kids will get plenty of supplies being paid for by working LEGAL parents!! Guarantee it.

We had a couple of principals at various different schools who actually went out and bought kids backpacks and supplies and handed them out and also various organizations fill up backpack with supplies, but it boils down to LEGAL v. ILLEGALS. 

No worries, in a few years nobody is going to be able to afford school supplies as we cannot sustain this ILLEGAL invasion.   9999hair out0000
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 09:12:56 pm »
School supplies are racist.  Give them all a box of crayons full of the brown ones and put one white smack dab in the middle of the box.

That'll work.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 10:04:53 pm »
How much more does a school kid NEED besides a notebook and a pencil (or pen)?

Back in my community college days (1970's), that's about all I had...
(you can see what it did for me!)

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 10:16:09 pm »
How much more does a school kid NEED besides a notebook and a pencil (or pen)?

Back in my community college days (1970's), that's about all I had...
(you can see what it did for me!)

Crayons, glue sticks, markers, binders, folders, kleenex, erasers, pencils, pens, colored pencils, 3x5 cards, ruler, protractor, calculator, hand sanitizer, ziploc bags, composition books, pencil/pen box, etc.  Normally the list wants the kids to have 2 or 3 of each item -- multiply that x2 or 3 kids or more and it does get expensive.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 10:23:53 pm »
Crayons, glue sticks, markers, binders, folders, kleenex, erasers, pencils, pens, colored pencils, 3x5 cards, ruler, protractor, calculator, hand sanitizer, ziploc bags, composition books, pencil/pen box, etc.  Normally the list wants the kids to have 2 or 3 of each item -- multiply that x2 or 3 kids or more and it does get expensive.

Yup.