Author Topic: Rumors that India may change its name to an ancient Sanskrit word  (Read 444 times)

Offline Kamaji

Rumors that India may change its name to an ancient Sanskrit word
« on: September 07, 2023, 03:31:35 pm »
Rumors are swirling that India may be changing its name to an ancient Sanskrit word: Here’s why

By Chloe Whelan, News.com.au
Published Sep. 7, 2023

A single word on a dinner invitation has sparked frenzied speculation that India is changing its name and has picked a highly controversial alternative.

Earlier this week, Indian president Droupadi Murmu was referred to as the “President of Bharat” on an invitation to a state dinner for leaders attending the G20 summit in Delhi this weekend.

Sambit Patra, the national spokesman of India’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), added to the speculation when he shared an image of an official card that referenced Narendra Modi as “the Prime Minister of Bharat.”

That single word — Bharat — which appeared on both invites has ignited rumors that India may be in the process of officially changing its name.

Why might India change its name?

Bharat is an ancient Sanskrit word that has long been used to describe India.

Generally, the word India is used when referencing the country in English, while Bharat is used in Hindi.

Both names — as well as a third, Hindustan, which means “land of the Hindus” in Urdu — are used interchangeably by the public.

But it was exceptionally unusual to see the word Bharat on the dinner invitations, which were otherwise in English — and the word is highly politically loaded.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/07/india-may-be-changing-its-name-to-bharat/

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Rumors that India may change its name to an ancient Sanskrit word
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 03:35:11 pm »
India / Bharat is the 2nd most populous Muslim nation on earth.  What will become of the Muslims in the "land of the Hindus"?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 03:56:49 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 03:43:50 pm »
You mean the name change won't be Windows Support Team?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 03:45:53 pm »

:yowsa:
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 03:48:14 pm »

Well, technically, that would be three words, not one; however, if they were to do that, it would most likely be to:  विण्डोज समर्थनदलम्