Author Topic: Why San Francisco is the car break-in capital: Low-risk, high reward  (Read 649 times)

Offline PeteS in CA

Why San Francisco is the car break-in capital: Low-risk, high reward

https://hotair.com/john-s-2/2023/09/05/why-san-francisco-is-the-car-break-in-capital-low-risk-high-reward-n576049

In case you’ve somehow missed all the news coming out of San Francisco for the past several years, the city has the highest rate of property crime in the country. The SF Chronicle published a story today asking the obvious question: “Why is it so bad here — and not elsewhere?” The answer the article comes to is not entirely satisfying but it does make some amount of sense. We’ll get to that in a moment, but first the article does admit there’s a possibility Prop 47 plays a role.

Lobbyists for retailers and some politicians have blamed Proposition 47, a 2014 law that mandated prosecutors charge thefts of under $950 as misdemeanors rather than felonies. While detractors of the law sometimes exaggerate Prop. 47’s effect on overall crime, with break-ins, at least, they’ve got a point. Researchers at the PPIC, including Lofstrom, found a link between Prop. 47 and a 9% statewide upswing in thefts, driven by auto burglaries, from 2014-16.

But car break-in rates began increasing in 2011, three years before Prop. 47 passed. Plus, the reform was statewide, and other cities didn’t see their break-in rates rise to anywhere near this degree.

So Prop 47 probably contributes to the problem but it can’t explain it completely. Another possibility the authors consider is George Gascon who took over as DA in San Francisco in 2011, the same year the break-ins began to spike. Frankly, I think they’re on to something there but the article argues that, based on social science, the likelihood of arrest is a bigger deterrent than prosecution. So what is the likelihood of arrest for these crimes? It’s vanishingly small:

Effects do not necessarily have a single cause. Causes in this situation, IMO:

* Proposition 47 (I voted against it, as the effects were predictable);

* Fruitcake Prog DAs not prosecuting and under-charging;

* Reduction and elimination of bail;

* Police giving lower priority - = limited resources - to crimes they know won't be charged or will be plea-bargained down;

* The numerous ways in which SF coddles and enables - rather than treats - chemical addiction, mental illness, and improvident lifestyle choices.

Among my other similar opinions, I think the Sun will "rise" in the east tomorrow morning.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Why San Francisco is the car break-in capital: Low-risk, high reward
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 04:13:13 pm »
It's like Chitcago.  They decided to sue the car companies for making cars that are easy to steal.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 04:27:34 pm »
It's like Chitcago.  They decided to sue the car companies for making cars that are easy to steal.

I'm skilled at saying just 3/4 of what I mean. The point of the last item on my list is that by making itself a magnet for The Sacred Homeless, SF has brought onto its streets large numbers of people who will do fast smash-and-grab robberies. How long does it take to smash in a car side window with a length of scrap rebar or a rock and grab a package or suitcase foolishly visible from the outside of the car? 60 seconds? 45 seconds? 30 seconds? And if someone dares to try to intervene, that rebar or rock become a weapon.

rrthree Maybe SF should sue car makers for not making car windows unbreakable. rrthree
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 06:14:31 pm »
I'm skilled at saying just 3/4 of what I mean. The point of the last item on my list is that by making itself a magnet for The Sacred Homeless, SF has brought onto its streets large numbers of people who will do fast smash-and-grab robberies. How long does it take to smash in a car side window with a length of scrap rebar or a rock and grab a package or suitcase foolishly visible from the outside of the car? 60 seconds? 45 seconds? 30 seconds? And if someone dares to try to intervene, that rebar or rock become a weapon.

rrthree Maybe SF should sue car makers for not making car windows unbreakable. rrthree

I totally agree, in case you thought I did not!   :tongue2:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 08:41:54 pm »
I totally agree, in case you thought I did not!   :tongue2:

Nah, I knew you were citing an example of another Blue city's stupidity. I'm sure at least one SF Stuporvisor is trying to work out a way to follow Chicago's example.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 10:22:01 pm »
Add the cost of repairs to the value of the stolen item.
That would boost it past the $950 mark, fast.

Then, prosecute the little thieves to the fullest extent of the law.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis