Author Topic: Four-day workweek, 46% raise: UAW makes 'audacious' demands ahead of possible strike against Big 3 a  (Read 465 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Four-day workweek, 46% raise: UAW makes 'audacious' demands ahead of possible strike against Big 3 automakers

Automakers Ford, GM and Stellantis have largely rejected the demands.
ByMax Zahn
September 5, 2023, 2:34 PM

A four-day workweek at full-time pay, a 46% wage increase and a share of company profits are among the demands of the union representing approximately 150,000 workers at the Big 3 U.S. automakers -- General Motors, Ford and Stellantis.

The United Auto Workers, or UAW, has vowed to launch a strike on Sept. 14 if the union and the automakers fail to reach an agreement by then.

Even UAW President Shawn Fain last month described the workers' set of demands as "audacious." He has defended the ambitious agenda in a series of public statements, citing billions in profits enjoyed by the Big 3.

The automakers, meanwhile, have largely rejected the demands. Only Ford has presented a contract proposal, offering a 9% wage increase over the term of the contract, plus a one-time payout that brings the total raise to 15%.

"Overall, this offer is significantly better than what we estimate workers earn at Tesla and foreign automakers operating in the U.S.," Ford President and CEO Jim Farley said in a statement on Thursday.

more
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/day-workweek-46-raise-uaw-makes-audacious-demands/story?id=102926195
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Looks like Mexico or Vietnam will be getting auto maker plants
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Kamaji

Yup.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Wouldn't be the first time a union voted themselves out of jobs.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

Wouldn't be the first time a union voted themselves out of jobs.

No, it would not.  My now deceased FiL (rest in peace) was a big supporter of the union that controlled his worksite, right up until their demands ceased being legitimate and started being ridiculous; at which point, once the union voted for the ridiculous, the firm closed up shop, and all the workers had to make due.  My FiL was lucky enough to get a good job as a school bus driver - which was also a union job at the time - but his way was a far cry from the pay he was making as an assemblyman for an aircraft factory.