Author Topic: Minnesota state commission to design a new state flag due to Native American concerns  (Read 808 times)

Offline Kamaji

Minnesota state commission to design a new state flag due to Native American concerns

By Associated Press
Published Sep. 5, 2023

A state commission went to work Tuesday on designing a new state flag and seal for Minnesota to replace a current emblem in both that’s considered offensive to Native Americans.

One of the main elements of Minnesota’s state flag includes a prominent state seal against a blue background. The seal depicts a Native American riding off into the sunset while a white settler plows his field with his rifle leaning on a nearby stump. The imagery suggests to many that the Indigenous people were defeated and going away, while whites won and were staying.

Not only do the state’s Dakota and Ojibwe tribes consider that offensive, but experts in the scientific and scholarly study of flags — known as vexillology — say it’s an overly complicated design.

Guidelines from the North American Vexillological Association say flags should be simple but meaningful, with just a few colors, easily recognizable from a distance, and without seals or lettering. The association ranks Minnesota in 67th place out of 72 U.S. and Canadian state and provincial flags. Minnesota’s design dates from 1957, an evolution from the 1893 original.

Minnesota is joining several other states in redesigning flags that haven’t withstood the test of time. The Utah Legislature last winter approved a simplified flag design that still includes a beehive, a symbol of the prosperity and the industriousness of the Mormon pioneers who settled the state. Mississippi voters in 2020 chose a new state flag with a magnolia and the phrase “In God We Trust” to replace a Confederate-themed flag that had been used by Ku Klux Klan groups and was widely condemned as racist.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/09/05/commission-begins-work-on-new-minnesota-state-flag/

Offline Kamaji

Nice to see that Minnesota has no greater, more pressing, problems to address.

Offline mountaineer

I'm available! Put me on a flag!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
MN is now officially the Fukawi state.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Polly Ticks

Let me guess.  They're going to put Saint George Floyd on the new one.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline yodaspock

I see a pride flag stripes with George Floyd image in the center. Surrounded by " we know you needed a new god", "So we crucified him for you"

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Anyone know any Native American in MN to ask if they are really offended by this flag? I mean how do we really know if they're offended?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
I see a pride flag stripes with George Floyd image in the center. Surrounded by " we know you needed a new god", "So we crucified him for you"

Just adopt the Somali Flag.  No need to waste all the time and money to come up with a new flag when one is ready to go.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

Just adopt the Somali Flag.  No need to waste all the time and money to come up with a new flag when one is ready to go.

:thumbsup:

Rather boring, though:

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It's just a couple of shades off the Bonny Blue Flag, so nevermind.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Guidelines from the North American Vexillological Association say flags should be simple but meaningful, with just a few colors, easily recognizable from a distance, and without seals or lettering."

Considering it's Minnesota, this one would provide a good starting point: