Author Topic: Richard Dreyfuss is right: If we don’t fix our schools, America is about to fail  (Read 409 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2023/sep/3/richard-dreyfuss-is-right-if-we-dont-fix-our-schoo/

Richard Dreyfuss is right: If we don’t fix our schools, America is about to fail
By Everett Piper
Sunday, September 3, 2023

This past week, in an interview on PBS’ “Firing Line” with Margaret Hoover, the actor Richard Dreyfuss said: “I think we’re in the endgame right now.

“We could let slip the greatest idea for governance ever devised, and we won’t even know that it happened. … Our democratic republic is failing, and it shouldn’t be a surprise. We can’t fly a plane without training; we can’t practice medicine without attending medical school. And yet we expect the American people to wield the full power of their citizenship without an education.”

He went on: “We no longer teach our children the Bill of Rights or the Constitution. … We don’t teach them critical thinking skills. … We’ve stopped teaching civics, and now we can’t have a civil political discussion. The American experiment may fail if we don’t act.”

Mr. Dreyfuss’ description of American education is spot on. His warning is not exaggeration or hyperbole. He’s absolutely right.

Your public schools are no longer a place where your children are taught to read and write, nor is today’s academy nearly as interested in your sons’ and daughters’ understanding of science as it is in teaching them to parrot the talking points of social justice.

Gone are the days of teaching American history and celebrating our Constitution. Activism is now far more important than getting a good grade in algebra. Critical theory now supplants critical thinking. From elementary school through 12th grade, our next generation of leaders are being taught to fixate on America’s flaws rather than celebrate its virtues.

This is the reality of our public schools. It’s a mad hatter’s world where, as C.S. Lewis warned, the elite among us actually claim it makes sense to geld the stallion and then “bid him be fruitful.” This is a time where the wise ones in our faculty lounges work to remove a child’s civic soul as the remedy to the to the cultural hell they’ve created for our progeny.

When will we learn? Bad ideas will breed bad behavior as surely as an acorn will grow an oak or a hurricane will bring a flood.

More at URL above...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Dreyfuss is to the left of Rob Reiner. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Dreyfuss repeatedly has pushed the brand of leftism that enabled all of this to happen.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I didn't know for sure that Dreyfus was a leftie before I posted the article above.

But please...
Leftist or not, what did he say above that was wrong?
(kinda like that Bill Maher guy has been lately, eh?)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I didn't know for sure that Dreyfus was a leftie before I posted the article above.

But please...
Leftist or not, what did he say above that was wrong?
(kinda like that Bill Maher guy has been lately, eh?)

Oh, he was right in saying this, I just won't vote for him for any office.  Just like RFK Jr.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
America is about to fail

Title fixed for more precise accuracy.

Time to fix our schools was a minimum of 25 years ago, if not way longer.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:31:38 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Title fixed for more precise accuracy.

Time to fix our schools was a minimum of 25 years ago, if not way longer.

While that is true -- why didn't the GOP get that memo??
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
While that is true -- why didn't the GOP get that memo??

Same reason they didn't do election reform in those swing states when the GOP was in control. "Don't I look good in my suit and helmet hair?' 'Hey let's do some back slapping and glad handing!'
The Republic is lost.

Offline Hoodat

The best thing Dreyfuss can do to fix our schools is to stop giving money to/voting for Democrats.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The best thing Dreyfuss can do to fix our schools is to stop giving money to/voting for Democrats.

He will give them money, and will vote for the Rat as well.
I will NOT comply.