Author Topic: Giant Food to remove health and beauty products from DC stores amid rampant theft  (Read 523 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Giant Food to remove health and beauty products from DC stores amid rampant theft
"We want to continue to be able to serve the community."

Giant Food to remove health and beauty products from DC stores amid rampant theft
Sara Higdon
Sep 2, 2023

Due to rampant theft, Giant Food in Washington DC is terminating sales of all national brands from its beauty and health aisles, and will now only carry store brands. It will also require an employee to verify shoppers' receipts before exiting the store.

In a statement to the Washington Post, Giant's president Ira Kress said, "We want to continue to be able to serve the community, but we can’t do so at the level of significant loss or risk to our associates that we have today."

Earlier this month, DC News Now reported rumors that Giant was potentially closing its Alabama Avenue location because the issues with theft and violence were "getting worse, not better." Officials said at the time that they had no plans to close the store, but that theft has cost the company hundreds of thousands of dollars.

https://thepostmillennial.com/giant-food-to-remove-health-and-beauty-products-from-dc-stores-amid-rampant-theft
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline LMAO

How long until Giant Food removes the whole store from Washington DC
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Texas Yellow Rose

• Native Texan
Due to rampant theft, Giant Food in Washington DC is terminating sales of all national brands from its beauty and health aisles and will now only carry store brands.   It will also require an employee to verify shoppers' receipts before exiting the store.

... which is guaranteed to offend honest shoppers!

Offline Kamaji

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
... which is guaranteed to offend honest shoppers!
Walmart has been doing that 'randomly' for years, here. I'm not offended, if it helps keep prices low. Nowadays they seem to focus on heavy carts coming out of the self-checkout, and I like using the human lanes.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Having receipts verified has been par for the course at many NYC retailers for years; it's no biggie, and if it leads to a reduction in theft, it leads to a reduction in prices that benefits me.