Author Topic: GE has a wild plan to ‘vacuum’ air pollution right out of our skies — here’s how the mind-blowing  (Read 610 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

GE has a wild plan to ‘vacuum’ air pollution right out of our skies — here’s how the mind-blowing idea would work
Story by Nick Paschal •
23h

It’s been decades since General Electric (GE) made vacuums, but now, it’s getting back in the game — only this time, the company will be vacuuming carbon pollution out of the air.

GE announced the successful test of its direct air capture (DAC) prototype and is planning larger-scale demonstrations in 2024. If the company can successfully scale its DAC system, it could be a massive weapon in the fight against our overheating planet.

What is direct air capture?

Direct air capture uses chemical reactions to remove carbon dioxide from the air. When air moves over the chemicals, it selectively traps the carbon, leaving the other parts of the air to pass through.

Once the carbon is successfully sucked out of the air and removed from the chemicals — typically by applying heat — it can be injected deep into the ground in geologic formations, never to be seen again, or used in products like concrete or plastic that will hold on tight to that carbon for a very long time.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/ge-has-a-wild-plan-to-vacuum-air-pollution-right-out-of-our-skies-here-s-how-the-mind-blowing-idea-would-work/ar-AA1ajfPi?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=2883ebfe150144febd7070fb7e89d8bf&ei=14
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Idiot

GE has a wild plan to ‘vacuum’ air pollution right out of our skies — here’s how the mind-blowing idea would work
Story by Nick Paschal •
23h

It’s been decades since General Electric (GE) made vacuums, but now, it’s getting back in the game — only this time, the company will be vacuuming carbon pollution out of the air.

GE announced the successful test of its direct air capture (DAC) prototype and is planning larger-scale demonstrations in 2024. If the company can successfully scale its DAC system, it could be a massive weapon in the fight against our overheating planet.

What is direct air capture?

Direct air capture uses chemical reactions to remove carbon dioxide from the air. When air moves over the chemicals, it selectively traps the carbon, leaving the other parts of the air to pass through.

Once the carbon is successfully sucked out of the air and removed from the chemicals — typically by applying heat — it can be injected deep into the ground in geologic formations, never to be seen again, or used in products like concrete or plastic that will hold on tight to that carbon for a very long time.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/ge-has-a-wild-plan-to-vacuum-air-pollution-right-out-of-our-skies-here-s-how-the-mind-blowing-idea-would-work/ar-AA1ajfPi?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=2883ebfe150144febd7070fb7e89d8bf&ei=14
I wonder who's paying for this?  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline roamer_1

EVERY TREE IN EVERY CITY WILL DIE.

Offline Hoodat

I wonder who's paying for this?

And how much CO2 it will generate?

btw, if you want to lock up carbon, then use as much plastic as possible, and then bury it in a hole.  No specialized geological formations needed.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline libertybele

It's a wild plan alright.  9999hair out0000

Gee, why don't they vacuum all the tornadoes and hurricanes out of the air as well.  *****rollingeyes*****
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Why does this remind me the scheme used in a plot of The Beverly Hillbillies to install huge fans to suck the air pollution over the mountains. Of course the plan was just something con man came up with to bilk Jed and his kin out of their money, just like GE only this time it'll be us playing the part of Jed and his kin.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
EVERY TREE IN EVERY CITY WILL DIE.
Remember when "carbon" was soot?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

It still is around here...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Some Canadian guy had a plan to essentially dump iron powder in the oceans to bloom algae and basically pull co2 from the atmosphere quickly. The Canadian government actually raided his house over it. Strange story at the very least.

Offline Idiot

An older gentleman in my office building worked at a carbon black facility in waaaay West Texas as a young man.  The way I understood it was they scraped the soot from the burned natural gas up and that was the carbon black.  He said it was an extremely nasty place. 

Offline The_Reader_David

Yes, and that's actually an interesting point, as all of the climate models either ignore changes to the albedo of ice packs due to soot, or pretend they're due to CO2.  There's a good chance much of the human impact on climate, such as it is, is due to soot.  Of course, getting the ChiComs, Russians, Indians and Poles to pass and enforce analogues of the American Clean Air Act doesn't give Washington, Brussels and London an excuse to seize control of the energy economy like controling greenhouse gasses does, so no one wants to try doing honest climate modeling (such as one can with a coupled chaotic dynamical system with multiple inputs) and revise the models to correctly attribute the effects of soot and urban heat island effects to things other than greenhouse gasses.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 03:17:34 pm by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
As someone whos spent their entire working career in the Environmental Field, I will go on record as saying this about the silliest shit I have ever seen.  Issues with scale, media prep, and replacement, and the power needed to operate a device this insipid.

If anything it makes me think about dumping my GE Stock, if they have loons in R & D like ths.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 03:35:42 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.