Author Topic: Kentucky’s governor won’t commit to appointing Republican if McConnell resigns  (Read 612 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Kentucky’s governor won’t commit to appointing Republican if McConnell resigns
By Marisa Iati
Updated September 1, 2023 at 4:17 p.m. EDT

After Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) experienced his second freezing episode in five weeks, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear (D) is declining to say whether he would follow a state law requiring him to appoint a Republican in the event of a Senate vacancy.

A reporter asked Beshear on Thursday whether, if McConnell were to step down, he would choose a replacement from one of three nominees selected by the state Republican Party, as the statute requires.

“There is no Senate vacancy,” Beshear responded at the news conference. “Senator McConnell has said he’s going to serve out his term, and I believe him, so I’m not going to speculate about something that hasn’t happened and isn’t going to happen.”

more
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2023/09/01/kentucky-governor-beshear-mcconnell/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Beshear, is in a tough race against the GOP dude running against him.  If he does get a "pick" it could make the difference in the election outcome should he "Choose Poorly"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Sounds like an LBJ 'We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what Asian boys ought to be doing for themselves.' promise.
The Republic is lost.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
In 2021, the GOP-dominated state legislature overrode Beshear's veto and enacted a law that limited the governor's ability to fill congressional vacancies. Were McConnell to resign, Beshear would be obligated by state law to appoint an interim senator from a list of nominees submitted by the state executive committee of the outgoing senator's party, in this case, the Republican Party.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kentucky-democrat-gov-beshear-dodges-asked-hell-appoint-republican-mcconnell-step-down
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

So, IOW, he'll be 'ignoring' the law and nothing will be done???

Remind me why we even have laws these days.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So, IOW, he'll be 'ignoring' the law and nothing will be done???

Remind me why we even have laws these days.

He doesn't have to go outside of the GOP to pick a Senator.  I am sure there are a ton of Republican McConnell acolytes in KY willing to step in and be a squish.  McConnell and the Dems love their squishes.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

Ah, memories of when W.Va. Gov. Joe Manchin appointed himself to the U.S. Senate upon the death of KKKByrd.
Gee, Kentucky, I hope this doesn't happen to you.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org