Author Topic: Inside San Francisco’s ‘dens of death’ as liberal city faces drug crisis  (Read 498 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Inside San Francisco’s ‘dens of death’ as liberal city faces drug crisis
Story by Marjorie Hernandez •
1d

San Francisco’s once-trendy downtown area has descended into a drug-addled hellscape — where addicts regularly overdose in city-funded “dens of death.”

Historic hotels in the Tenderloin neighborhood — which used to be the City by the Bay’s premier entertainment district — are now the face of the progressive California city’s deterioration.

Around 20,000 rooms in about 500 hotels have been converted from coveted tourist destinations into roach- and vermin-infested “Single-Room Occupancy” (SRO) housing for vagrants.

Many of the century-old buildings are now overrun with drug-addled “zombies” high on fentanyl and the flesh-eating animal tranquilizer dubbed “tranq,” residents told The Post during a tour on Tuesday.

“It’s like living in a prison, but worse,” Robert Blackburn said of his squalid room in one of Tenderloin’s SROs.

The neighborhood, located just 2 miles south of tourist hotspot Fisherman’s Wharf, was “once one of San Francisco’s fashionable neighborhoods, home to Bonanza Kings, politicians and millionaire merchants,” according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/inside-san-francisco-s-dens-of-death-as-liberal-city-faces-drug-crisis/ar-AA1g0tAw?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=0fb193c7fc30431bac50c43d4154bfd1&ei=50
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
When the sh*t gets deep enough, someone will opt to clean the place out, the property will go cheap, they will get 'renaissance grants' to rebuild those 'historic structures', and make a killing gentrifying the joint.  The more addicts ride the needle out, the fewer there will be to push out.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis