Author Topic: Malliotakis renews calls for Staten Island to secede from NYC as migrant crisis fury grows  (Read 265 times)

Online Kamaji

Malliotakis renews calls for Staten Island to secede from NYC as migrant crisis fury grows

By Craig McCarthy,
Kevin Sheehan and
Jorge Fitz-Gibbon   
August 30, 2023

The forgotten borough wants to be remembered.

Staten Islanders are renewing calls for a breakaway from the Big Apple — with Mayor Eric Adams’ controversial call to bus migrants to a local shuttered Catholic school proving to be the latest breaking point.

One local pol even has an idea for the independent borough’s new slogan: “Nonsicut tu quoque,” City Councilman Joe Borelli told The Post.

It roughly translates to, “We don’t like you either.”

Staten Island has always been an odd fit within the five boroughs, sitting on the outskirts of New York City with a predominantly conservative Republican population that butts heads with the rest of the city.

“I mean, I hear all the jokes all the time that they would love to get rid of Staten Island, well, this is your opportunity,” Rep. Nicole Malliotakis (R-NY) said on NY1 Wednesday morning. “I think Staten Island would like to have an opportunity to self-govern.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/08/30/malliotakis-renews-calls-for-staten-island-to-secede-from-nyc-over-migrants/

Online Kamaji

I would love to see NYC get broken up.  Manhattan and the Bronx will probably never split, but I could see Brooklyn and Queens hiving off on their own as well.